April 19, 2024, 07:14:21 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Help broken stator bolt 02 softail

Started by Crawler, September 16, 2022, 08:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crawler

Help. Anyone have any good solutions to getting a broken stator bolt out. Just the head broke off when I torqued it to spec. I tried getting it with vice grips but that didn't work. I was thinking about tacking a nut on the end or cutting it shorter and drilling it out but wanted to check here to see if anyone had any luck with a different method/tool to get it out.

FSG

just to bee sure , you are talking about screw #1 ..... 

if so take the stator off so you can get at the broken screw

Crawler

FSG yeah it's bolt #1. I pulled the stator back out which allowed me to get a set of vice grips on what was left of the bolt but it won't budge.

kd

September 17, 2022, 06:17:30 AM #3 Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 06:33:34 AM by kd
For me, I have stud remover tools that usually work well.  They aren't always available or able to fit into the space.  If vice grips don't work without damaging (weakening) the stud shank all is not lost.  Remember if you used Loctite you have to heat the fastener shaft to break down the grip on the threads.

If the stud doesn't release, I would slip a tight fitting nut over the end of the stud and weld it in place at the center.  Before hand, prep by disconnecting the battery and ECM to prevent any damage to the electronic components by surges from the welder arc through the ground strap. If possible connect the ground at the stud. (clamp  on a small set of vice grips to the stud as a ground tab)  Have the tools ready to remove the fastener while it is still hot.  Let the welded fastener head cool slightly so it gets it's strength back as you used a pencil torch to heat the case material around the threads.   (computer cleaner spray directed at the fastener will usually cool and shrink the fastener thread)  Then start to extract it with a suitable sized socket while the case aluminum is still hot.  Once it comes loose stop and let it cool at least to warm. Add some spray lube to prevent galling and gently remove.

If this fails and the stud breaks off at the case (which it should not) you are at the drill stage. 
KD

calif phil

Most stator bolts come with a Loctite patch, like KD said, you will need to heat it up. 

kd

The fastener hole may have had oil in it or debris creating a hydro or short hole lock.  Be sure to clean out the hole before reinstalling a new bolt. It may also have been stretched by the previous installer.  I would consider replacing all of them.
KD

Schex3x

JSD

I hade an evo years ago at my shed the HD dealer ship tech told him the bottom end needs rebuilding. All the bolts were broken flush at case. So i rotated the stator and drilled and taped new holes. Rang they owner and said its done. He did not believe me. Happy days!