March 29, 2024, 02:42:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2000 Road King Classic FI Running Rough

Started by Sinker, September 17, 2022, 05:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinker

My 2000 Road King started running rough about 200 miles from home today. It was stumbling, coughing, and it would not accelerate without cutting out. It was using a ton of gas. And when I got home the right hand side pipe was completely covered it black soot. What do you think the problem might be? It was also using quite a bit of gas.

kd

Sounds like a typical head temp sensor issue. Does it start and run OK after it's cooled down?  Is there no code thrown? If so change the engine temp sensor.  It's VERY common with those symptoms.
KD

Sinker

Not getting any codes and it starts right up.

kd

Quote from: Sinker on September 17, 2022, 07:21:43 PMNot getting any codes and it starts right up.

If it starts acting up when it gets hot it's the engine temp sensor.  I would just change it.
KD

rigidthumper

The excess fuel comes from an ECM being told it's freezing (bad sensor), and the plugs foul from the 10:1 AFR. Replace the spark plugs & the engine temp sensor, and you should be back to normal.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 18, 2022, 04:28:12 AMThe excess fuel comes from an ECM being told it's freezing (bad sensor), and the plugs foul from the 10:1 AFR. Replace the spark plugs & the engine temp sensor, and you should be back to normal.

I was led to believe adding fuel can also be the ECM's way of coaxing the temperature down when it thinks the engine is too hot. Either way is possible and the sensor is telling you it's tired.
KD

motorhogman

Looking at that right side muffler and you saying it was using a lot of gas I would be changing the oil and filter after you sort out the problem. That oil has to be diluted with gas.. Least I would think so.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Coyote

Don't think the temp sensor would be just effecting one cyl. Maybe a stuck injector? Hard to say.

kd

Are they True Duals or the stock early style header?  On the latter the right muffler handles the bulk of the flow. The rear just peels off a little at the head for the left side.  What little is going to the left is definitely leaving a black soot instead of tan color.  Just not as much.

The OP's post #3 seems to indicate there are no codes and more importantly it starts right up when cold.  That is very ETS like.  No indication how it runs when cold though.  Maybe he will let us kmow how it runs when not hot yet.
KD

Sinker

I haven't ridden the bike cold yet. Next trip will be to the repair shop.