April 18, 2024, 04:06:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Question about Barnett Clutch Stack (307-30-10011)

Started by les, September 19, 2022, 09:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

les

I've done very little Sporster work, and this is my first time replacing a Sportster clutch stack.  The bike is a 2016 Sporster Custom and I'd like to replace the current stock stack with the Barnett Extra Clutch Plate Kevlar Kit (307-30-10011). 

I can't tell if this 9 friction plate kit comes with the thin inner ring and the thin inner dished ring, or if these thin rings are even needed with the Barnett kit I'm buying.  Is this Barnett kit have all 9 friction plates full width rather than the inner most one being thinner with a larger ID?

Any tips are welcome for this first-timer.  Thanks.

rigidthumper

My kit (2004 1200 XL- this was years ago, so forgive my weak memory) said don't have anything in the basket when installing- remove all stock pieces, including the spring plate, inner ring, & beveled ring.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

les

Thanks.  Seems just the same as big twins.  I appreciate the reply.

14Frisco

QuoteI can't tell if this 9 friction plate kit comes with the thin inner ring and the thin inner dished ring

15 years ago I bought that kit, 307-30-10011, for my 1993 Sportster. It didn't come with the damper seat or damper dished spring. After installation, I had some occasional clutch chatter and after contacting Barnett they sent me the damper spring kit, and that took care of it.
A year later, I bought the same kit, 307-30-10011, for my Road King and then the kit came with the damper spring and seat.

les

Quote from: 14Frisco on September 19, 2022, 12:38:25 PM
QuoteI can't tell if this 9 friction plate kit comes with the thin inner ring and the thin inner dished ring

15 years ago I bought that kit, 307-30-10011, for my 1993 Sportster. It didn't come with the damper seat or damper dished spring. After installation, I had some occasional clutch chatter and after contacting Barnett they sent me the damper spring kit, and that took care of it.
A year later, I bought the same kit, 307-30-10011, for my Road King and then the kit came with the damper spring and seat.

Interesting.  I've used the Barnett full stack in my big twins without the chatter you mention.  The stack is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.  I will report on what I get and the results after I install it.  Thanks!

les

The Barnett clutch came with only the full friction plates and steel plates.  No damper springs or rings.  Battery is dead on the bike so trying to charge so I can take a test ride.

14Frisco

You may very well not need the damper spring. I was told by Barnett that the chatter was nothing dangerous. But if you have chatter and it annoys you, I'd contact them - Barnett customer service was nothing but the best.

The damper spring kit I received way back then consisted of three parts - 1, 2 and 3 in INSTALLATION OF DAMPER SPRING/SEAT

les

The Barnett full stack ended up working smooth as butter.  The lady who owns the Sportster said "it feels like a new car".  I have to say I'm not surprised because it was like that when I've used this same kind of stack on big twins several times.

Thank you to the Sportster forum for the replies.  I don't get over here much (mostly TC and M8).  I do appreciate it.