Do I need a new cam plate or will used work?

Started by KevH, March 29, 2023, 09:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevH

I have a 2003 FXDX and want to upgrade to a Wood TW-6-6R (conversion cams). Wood makes a kit with all HD parts that they market for over $700+.

I can pickup a the same parts on the used market (plate, oil pump, sprockets, chain, etc.) take-off for under or around $200.

I already have SE adjustable pushrods, but know I'm going to need cams ($420), new lifters ($280), a new ignition module (Dynatek TC88)($280), plus gaskets.

I'm looking for ways to save a couple bucks. I plan to do the work myself.

Can I get away with using a used cam plate and oil pump or is that too much of a corner to cut?

roadkingdresser

If I were doing it, I'd upgrade to hydraulic tensioners. That means a new plate and definitely a new oil pump and bearings. Good luck with whatever you decide!
roadkingdresser

smoserx1

March 30, 2023, 03:48:48 AM #2 Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 04:00:05 AM by smoserx1
If they are truly conversion cams you have to use a cam plate like on a 2007 and newer model (the cam plate will not use any bearings at all).  I don't see any issue with a used one provided the bores for the cams are not damaged.  Roller chains and sprockets will be required and the 07 and up style oil pump.  Again as long as the used stuff is decent I would use it, but that is just me.  Just make sure you are getting the right stuff because some upgrades to hydraulic tensioners are do not use conversion cams (the screaming eagle hybrid setup is one of these).