Considering S&S 100” sidewinder upgrade on 03 Ultra

Started by chas, September 20, 2022, 04:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

Last year i upgraded my 03 Ultra with the S&S 509 cams,plate,lifters, oil pump etc... Im happy with the results but, thinking the 100" upgrade would be the icing on the cake! What can I expect for torque increase, is it marginal or something I would feel in the lower rpms? Thanks in advance- Chas

rigidthumper

With the proper tune, (and any necessary upgrades) should see 12-15% increase across the board.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Deye76

Besides the added TQ, a 4"X4" 100" motor is very smooth.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

jsachs1

No more bore left on the 4" cylinders. You may find they have a short service life. I've seen several sets come through the doors here, with not a lot of mileage. You may want to consider a 3.937" bore instead.
John

calif phil

Did one for a guy when they first became available.  He has 30k on it now. it's been a great runner.  Joe Lyon's did the break-in and tune. 

boooby1744

With that cam, I think just 95' SE flat tops would be the best bang for the buck. I don't know your mileage but maybe freshen up the heads.

Adam76

Quote from: jsachs1 on September 20, 2022, 01:26:48 PMNo more bore left on the 4" cylinders. You may find they have a short service life. I've seen several sets come through the doors here, with not a lot of mileage. You may want to consider a 3.937" bore instead.
John

John, for those guys doing 3.937" bore upgrades using their stock cylinders. What is your go to / most popular piston, cam and compression choice up for a good reliable power and most TQ 2000 - 5000.
I thought I'd ask, seems you have done a lot of these builds?
Thanks

Don D

jsachs1

Quote from: Adam76 on September 21, 2022, 08:47:37 PM
Quote from: jsachs1 on September 20, 2022, 01:26:48 PMNo more bore left on the 4" cylinders. You may find they have a short service life. I've seen several sets come through the doors here, with not a lot of mileage. You may want to consider a 3.937" bore instead.
John

John, for those guys doing 3.937" bore upgrades using their stock cylinders. What is your go to / most popular piston, cam and compression choice up for a good reliable power and most TQ 2000 - 5000.
Thanks
Like Don said, I use KB 714LCA Line to Line coated forgings. Be sure to specify stroke being used. Piston forging diameter is stamped on the wrist pin boss of any of their Line to line coated pistons. Just add clearance to that.
John

Adam76

Quote from: jsachs1 on September 22, 2022, 01:37:36 PM
John

Thanks
Like Don said, I use KB 714LCA Line to Line coated forgings. Be sure to specify stroke being used. Piston forging diameter is stamped on the wrist pin boss of any of their Line to line coated pistons. Just add clearance to that.
John

Quote from: jsachs1 on September 22, 2022, 01:37:36 PM
John

Thanks
John

Thanks John.

When doing these builds, with this bore size, and this KB piston.  what is your cam of choice?
For 2000 - 5000rpm
Thanks.

Apologies for going off topic.

Don D

The KB piston will require a 4.375" stroke for 107".
There is no 98" equivalent 3.937" bore piston for the 4" stroke offered by KB. I have sold JE 98" pistons, and they have worked well. They have a 9.5:1 and a 10.5:1 version.

Ohio HD

Adam, another set of options to get to 98" (they round down to 97") is pistons from Wiseco. If a 95" will work for you, S&S (might be Wiseco or CP pistons) or KB 95" pistons. I assume the S&S would be easier to order from OZ?

Not enough difference from 95" to 98" unless you're chasing the last horsepower you can get. A good all around good running motor, the S&S 570's (3200-5700 rpm) are decent cams. You could also get the in Easy Start versions if you plan to run some compression.  If you want strictly low and midrange, the S&S 583's (1500–5000 rpm) fit that bill. They also require less compression.

WISECO

S&S Cycle

KB

Adam76

September 23, 2022, 12:01:57 AM #12 Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 12:20:00 AM by Adam76
What did you end up choosing Chas?

jsachs1

S&S offers a 98" 3.937" by 4" stroke. CP piston kit. I built one like that last week for a customer. :smile:
John

Ohio HD

You're absolutely right John. I was trying to find them last night in the new August catalog, and didn't see them. Here are the part numbers. Thanks John.

Mi Infidel

New guy here. I see Fuel Moto is a site sponsor here. I just installed one of their 98" piston and cylinder kits on my 01 super glide. It's a very nice kit and a little less expensive than the S&S kit. It came with CP pistons. I did contact them a couple of times and they were very helpful.
2001 FXD 2006 stock heads 95" @ 10.5:1 Fueling 543
Dynatek ignition Supertrapp 2:1 29 tooth front pulley

dakota224

Do The Hippo Build, They run awesome for many miles.

Don D

KB pistons can be had with LCA option, any of them, when purchased from a WD. I would not touch a hypereutectic ^ when they have such good forged pistons. Set them up at .0025 and rock and roll. But they only have a .040 over 95" piston which is ~96"
Then there is Drag / JE pistons 98" 0910-5937
Would be my two choices.

chas

Hi Adam _ Im still leaning towards the 100" kit, I might cut my season short and start the tear down in Nov. I live in the northeast so I'm pretty much done by Xmas.

Adam76

Quote from: chas on October 04, 2022, 05:09:59 PMHi Adam _ Im still leaning towards the 100" kit, I might cut my season short and start the tear down in Nov. I live in the northeast so I'm pretty much done by Xmas.

Have you looked at the Fuel Moto 98" kit? if a true bolt together kit is what you are looking for. Better priced and would be my personal preference.

chas

JSD

chas

JSD

Yes S&S use CP pistons with the kit 85cc heads 10.5 comp

Lone Ranger

Quote from: chas on September 20, 2022, 04:44:05 AMLast year i upgraded my 03 Ultra with the S&S 509 cams,plate,lifters, oil pump etc... Im happy with the results but, thinking the 100" upgrade would be the icing on the cake! What can I expect for torque increase, is it marginal or something I would feel in the lower rpms? Thanks in advance- Chas
Did you do the upgrade yourself or have it done? I'm trying to decide between 509 cams,plate,lifters, oil pump or just go right to 100" Power Package with 585 easy start cams. Parts are around $800 more, wonder what labor cost might be. I'm not capable of doing the work.