April 24, 2024, 04:06:10 AM

News:

rocker arm shimming

Started by roadkingdresser, September 20, 2022, 01:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

Can some one give me some insight in shimming rocker arms? Never did it before,but i'm about to give it a shot.
roadkingdresser

tdrglide

I tried some once. 0.010 thk. Made no real difference other than making me nervous. Took them out and purchased new supports

Rockout Rocker Products

It's been tried. And tried. And tried. The success rate is so low I'm convinced something else was changed in the process. There just isn't that kinda movement side to side to make noise.

But hey... your bike, your time.  :beer:  :beer:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Adam76

Quote from: tdrglide on September 20, 2022, 04:16:34 PMI tried some once. 0.010 thk. Made no real difference other than making me nervous. Took them out and purchased new supports

Is this a service wear item, like after XXX miles you should replace them?

Thanks

tdrglide

Quote from: Adam76 on September 21, 2022, 12:19:41 AM
Quote from: tdrglide on September 20, 2022, 04:16:34 PMI tried some once. 0.010 thk. Made no real difference other than making me nervous. Took them out and purchased new supports

Is this a service wear item, like after XXX miles you should replace them?

Thanks
There are serviice limits + or - in FSM but some seem to have more clearance right out of the box. I know guys with over 100k miles and they're not worried.
I agree with the guy just before you. Rockout Rocker Products

roadkingdresser

Already got the lockers,helped but didn't stop the tick. Motors got 45k on it,done the topend this spring. New bearings,cams,camplate,chains,tensioners,oil pump,sping&plunger,lifters,pushrod,cyl.,pistons,heads redone. Only thing I didn't replace was the rockers. Front head only,so I got a set for the front with the stand.Checked at .014 and .016 , want to titen them up a little.Just would like a little insight from someone that has done it, so I don't make them to tight. Thanks
roadkingdresser

No Cents

this was my supports shimmed at one time.
If your going to use shims make sure you shim the "non" thrust side.

You cannot see attachments on this board.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

cheech

Quote from: No Cents on September 21, 2022, 05:57:49 AMthis was my supports shimmed at one time.
If your going to use shims make sure you shim the "non" thrust side.

I'm trying to envision this.
Where is the thrust coming from?

And is the post it note claiming different side for exhaust and intake?

Why would that be when the mechanical arrangement is identical just mirrored?

kd

Look at the angle of the pushrods in relation to the cylinders.  The exhaust pushrods are tilted in toward the center of the engine. That causes the thrust of the rocker on the shaft to be to the left away from the pushrod side.  You want to shim on the right or pushrod side so the wiping action is not on the shim(s) if any. 
KD

cheech

^^
 :wink:
Neglected to think of them being out of line in that way.

No Cents

September 21, 2022, 06:22:16 PM #10 Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 06:27:38 PM by No Cents
  kd has it correct. 
...and yes...the shims are on different sides.
The shims are in there to take up the extra gap/space between the rocker arm and the support...and you want the thrust sides of the rocker arms to ride up against the rocker arm supports...with the shims riding on the other end...the non thrust side.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

itsafatboy

i tried them when trying to quite woods TW8G cams did nothing , i still believe it was the valve hitting seat that made noise , i have different heads now with tw9BG no noise ,