April 24, 2024, 09:55:37 PM

News:

Still no spark

Started by hogpipes1, September 20, 2022, 11:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogpipes1

97 Heritage Soft Tail carb . Ran good one day next nothing going on at plugs. Pri is good at both sides of coil and into the ign mod. (Pink /white&black). grd are clean and test good.Changed out the battery as it was old ,  along with coil  &wires, ign. Nose cone Sensor , and swapped a module I had around . Have juice out of module to the ign sensor (red/black). Ohms test on module is good going by the Ser-Manual.   I can't find any loose corroded wires or usual issues. Can't see how both module's could be bad. Spare one been around for yrs from old 95 I had. owner wants to just replace the one that's on the bike.   Oh and the cam ign rotor is clean ,tight with no issues inside the cone. So this just a pisser ,What am I missing here??. Thanks.

72fl

I will bet it is the Module and when you have to change it take a red marker and put an X on the other two and when It fires up with the actual New one Toss the other two immediately in the garbage. Just my opinion

hogpipes1

Quote from: 72fl on September 21, 2022, 04:07:02 AMI will bet it is the Module and when you have to change it take a red marker and put an X on the other two and when It fires up with the actual New one Toss the other two immediately in the garbage. Just my opinion

Thats the easy thing too do,throw more parts and $$ at it.I always like to know why? New one order so I'll find out. Old points condenser set up on shelf might get installed.

72fl

Quote from: hogpipes1 on September 22, 2022, 06:13:37 AM
Quote from: 72fl on September 21, 2022, 04:07:02 AMI will bet it is the Module and when you have to change it take a red marker and put an X on the other two and when It fires up with the actual New one Toss the other two immediately in the garbage. Just my opinion

Thats the easy thing too do,throw more parts and $$ at it.I always like to know why? New one order so I'll find out. Old points condenser set up on shelf might get installed.
I carry the points and parts all the time with me, you know what they say Electronics throw away items any more. (My Old One Melted looked like runny Peanut Butter)

hogpipes1

I help out the ign. Sensor by using a couple spacers behind  the cover, let's heat out and some cool air in .  I did this yrs.ago when this started cutting out on my 85 FXRT.

hogpipes1

Put in the new module and it fired up. Great, well  just for the hell of it I plug in the  OE one ,and it fires up  along with the spare I had . Took out the new ing.sensor put in the old one and bike runs.Just nuts as what exactly was wrong in the first place. Put all the new back in .Gal is happy with $ 600 + in parts and running good. Me I don't like the unknown.but dealing with Electrical components Sometimes they work sometimes they don't.

xlfan

Sounds like one of those "touch'n'go" problems in the wiring or switches that never appears when testing.

roadkingdresser

A friend had this same problem.After changing the module he found the ignition switch had a flat spot in, changed the switch and all is good.That's been about 4 months since it started that.
roadkingdresser

hogpipes1

Quote from: roadkingdresser on September 24, 2022, 03:14:09 AMA friend had this same problem.After changing the module he found the ignition switch had a flat spot in, changed the switch and all is good.That's been about 4 months since it started that.
.          Always had test lite on coil pri before cranking over. Always lit up. Turned ign switch On and off 50 times, it always done its job off or on . and that switch is another usual suspect. Time will tell.25 yr old parts with 23K miles is young in my book. While It's here I'm gonna pull out ignition switch out clean the contacts and put some silicone grease on the terminals,preventive maintenance.