April 19, 2024, 10:59:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Neck bearing

Started by oldskool, September 21, 2022, 07:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskool

Does anyone happen to know the Fallaway or neck bearing adjustment procedure for a 1978 ?

JSD

Quote from: oldskool on September 21, 2022, 07:05:03 PMDoes anyone happen to know the Fallaway or neck bearing adjustment procedure for a 1978 ?
What bike?

nibroc

:nix:'''''' :scratch:

yeah that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hossamania

This was originally posted in the Ironhead section and moved here.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Fugawee

September 22, 2022, 09:42:51 AM #4 Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 11:33:25 AM by Fugawee
Assuming that You are referring to a 78' Sportster with an OEM Front End...the Factory Service Manual does not give any specifics on what You are inquiring about.

The HD Factory Service Manual about Neck Bearing Adjustment, states to tighten the Fork Stem Sleeve on the Fork Stem until "All appreciative play is taken up and Bearing action is smooth, and free."  That's all it says.  Nothing about Trail/Fallaway.
This is out of an HD FSM for 1970-1978 Sportsters.  If You should have this Manual, it is on Page 2-30 in the Assembly Section, under Installing Stem and Bracket Assembly, about 1/2 way down the page.

My Sportster Manual is from the 70's so I don't know if maybe an up-dated version with different info is available.

In My 1970-1978 FL/FX Factory Service Manual from the 70's, pretty much says the same thing, with the exception of adjusting the FL Front End Trail for Sidecar or Solo use.  Page 2-27 in the Shovel Manual.

I have always adjusted Mine until there was no slop or binding, and what I felt comfortable with as far as handling.  This was on I/H Sportster's, FX, and FL Shovels.  I just lubed and replaced the Bearings as necessary and had no problems.

I also have "Clymer" Manuals (which I personally am not a big fan of) for those Models that pretty much say the same.

Someone else may have some better info.

oldskool

Thanks guys. I did post it under Ironhead Because that's what's it is. I do appreciate the 8nfo. Ik on some newer b I keep there is a "Fallaway" procedure and wasn't sure about a Ironhead. Thanks again