April 23, 2024, 09:30:31 PM

News:

S&s lifters

Started by mrtsmi, September 23, 2022, 02:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrtsmi

Are the latest S&S lifters as good as the old ones

motorhogman

I used to run nothing but S&S lifters. Tried a well known different brand a few years ago. Within 2,500 mi one of them started bleeding down and on a cold start it sounded like a hammer beating on a cast iron fry pan.  I replaced them with S&S and 5,000 mi later nice and quiet. Bike can sit for a month, nice and quiet. 

You cannot see attachments on this board.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

mrtsmi

Come on man you're not answering my question. They don't make premium and standard lifters now they only make one standard lifter. I'm wanting to know how good those are.

motorhogman

Quote from: mrtsmi on September 26, 2022, 08:47:26 AMCome on man you're not answering my question. They don't make premium and standard lifters now they only make one standard lifter. I'm wanting to know how good those are.

Not sure.. if there was a choice when I bought the lifters that came in that package I posted. Note that they are labeled "precision"  Not "premium" or "standard". I wouldn't hesitate to purchase these. From my experience with S&S lifters, old or new version they work well. 

"S&S Precision lifters feature the finest materials and precision machining techniques and are designed to replace the previous S&S "Standard" and "Premium" lifters. These new lifters feature low bleed rate and fast pump up for superior performance. ... Made in USA . Application List. Fitment for 330-0718. Application List. Fitment for 330-0718 ...

mrtsmi

Yes those are the lifters I'm asking about. Have you got 115,000 miles on those lifters?

mrtsmi

:bf:  sorry dumb question I know 115,000 is when you put them in how many miles do you have them now

motorhogman

Quote from: mrtsmi on September 26, 2022, 11:26:05 AM:bf:  sorry dumb question I know 115,000 is when you put them in how many miles do you have them now

120,000 now. 5,000 on mi these I've been dealing with some health issues so my riding time over the past year has declined a lot. The bike does sit for much longer time periods than it used to. I'm going for a ride this am and the bike hasn't been started in about 3 weeks. I don't expect to hear a click tick or anything out of the norm on the cold start or any other time for that matter. Sorry, I should have stated the miles on them.

HogMike

Quote from: mrtsmi on September 23, 2022, 02:15:24 PMAre the latest S&S lifters as good as the old ones

Not sure I can contribute to the question but I have s$s in my 2019 and they are fine.
I WILL be doing some work on the bike in a week or so and will pull the lifters and take a look.

I have S&S in my evo crate engine with about 60K miles on it still running fine.
Yes, realize different engines but my engine builder has used them for years almost exclusively.

I go with most of his recommendations.
 :nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

My indie also uses S&S product almost exclusively.
I have standard S&S lifters in my '12 Ultra for 8 years, 35,000 miles and seem to be just fine. I realize not the exact part you are asking about, but speaks to the general quality of the product that the company puts out.
I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

harpwrench

I have about 15k on a set of the newer version S&S lifters under a set of 650 lift springs in a 117 and they're doing fine, not noisy

60wt

have 30,000 mi on S&S standards 2007 RK.    ok cold at idle first start, rattle at 2400 rpm and above, then soon as motor warms up, takes about a mile then all is well at all speeds and rpm..
I'm going nucking futs

JSD

Running those in my 107 .619 lift 180lb springs no issues

aswracing

We've sold a ton of the S&S Precisions. Zero complaints from any customer.

itsafatboy

GMR performace has the SS premiums he has made for him same exact lifters, SS doesnt have the premium any longer
im going to try the Jims steady roll bushing lifter , but thats just me . 

JSD

Quote from: itsafatboy on October 14, 2022, 04:46:11 PMGMR performace has the SS premiums he has made for him same exact lifters, SS doesnt have the premium any longer
im going to try the Jims steady roll bushing lifter , but thats just me . 
When did this happen? So who made em for S&S ?

HogMike

I just got back from a 2600 mile road trip with the bike running fine. Loaded 2up and 85 mph running for some long stretches and stop and go in the cities. A little bit of everything as far as the trip.

Got the bike on the lift yesterday and pulled the lifters and took a peek at the cam lobes. Very little wear marks on the cam or lifters. Rollers "feel" fine.

About 40K miles on this motor, 65K miles on the bike. Motor is very quiet and smooth.

Valve train consists of fueling springs, SE adjustable tapered pushrods, S&S lifters, TTS 200 cam. S&S oil pump and plate.

As the motor was running great, and no noise I put everything back together.
I hope I didn't jinx myself for worrying too much!

There are alternatives to the Harley 131 kit that is not available in CA.
It just takes some builders who have had success with certain combos and a GOOD tuner.

JMHO   :hug:
HOGMIKE
SoCal