April 27, 2024, 09:13:44 AM

News:

Transmission Side Door Bearing Replacement

Started by Bush Hog, November 02, 2022, 11:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bush Hog

I'm doing a trike conversion on my wife's 2007 Softail Deluxe. Since the bike is 15 years old, I decided to replace the transmission main shaft bearing, side door bearings and seals while doing the conversion. Got the transmission out of the case and took it to the local Harley dealer to replace the side door bearings since I don't have the tools to do this. Went to pick it up yesterday afternoon and upon inspection, noticed that the side door bearings are installed into the side door with the lettering stamp to the inside and not the outside of the side door as the service manual states. Spoke with the head mechanic, and he said that's the way that they install them, and it isn't a problem. On my way home, I stopped by my local indy who has done work for me in the past and whom I trust. He took a look and said he that although would have installed the bearings with lettering to the outside per the service manual, it shouldn't be a problem with the bearings installed they are. Your thoughts?

xlfan

The trap door bearings are very sturdy and they don't require much effort to install. No problem in this particular case, but not correct by engineering and mechanics standards. It is more questionable if it had been thin wall needle bearings.

motorhogman

That would drive me buggy..  I'd be researching the reason the SM says install with lettering out.. There must be a reason. Maybe for easier ID of the part # before disassembly or maybe there is an actual engineering reason ? Just me but I would want to know before reassembling.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Fugawee

This is something that I was taught while in the USN working on all types of machinery in the Ship's Engineroom that had Bearings involved.  And has stayed with Me for quite some time, and I still adhere to it.
I was taught that with the Bearings Letters/Numbers...You should be able to read them while You are pressing or placing it where required.
One reason is to ensure that You can read the Markings on it so that it is replaced with the correct one, or an equal or updated equivalent.
Another reason is...We were told that the Bearing wall thickness is a very small amount larger on the Markings side for additional strength so that the Bearing does not get un-necessarily damaged when using a Press, or some other type of Bearing Installer.
Some Bearings had a slight Taper on the non-marked side that You could see, to also make it easier on the installation regardless of how You may be installing it, and some didn't.

So far that method has worked for Me for many years on all kinds of Bearings with good results.

rigidthumper

:agree: Ditto- we were taught to "always press on the numbers". Taper or bevel on the inside, and ground flat on the outside pressing surface, assisted the process.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I just did a 2000 Camplate and there were NO numbers. ???????? Chinese probably
Tom

Bush Hog

Think I'm going to get some new bearings and have then installed per the service manual. I'd hate to get this all back together and have a problem.  May not make a difference, but at least I'll sleep better knowing they were installed correctly.

FXDBI

You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board. 

Post got me thinking so I went to the garage and dug out my old stock door to look at the bearings. It will definatly make a difference in the lube the bearing retains while running has you can see from the pictures. They need to be changed.  Bob

hrdtail78

Quote from: Bush Hog on November 04, 2022, 06:50:05 PMThink I'm going to get some new bearings and have then installed per the service manual. I'd hate to get this all back together and have a problem.  May not make a difference, but at least I'll sleep better knowing they were installed correctly.

I would do the same thing.  Even though I see no way there could cause an adverse effect if it didn't happen at time of installation.  They aren't rotation directional.  The bearing actually turn opposite of each other.

I would try and heat door and see if new bearings would fall out or by light tap on outer race.  Reheat and flip them for install.  A press isn't really needed since you aren't removing original bearings.
Semper Fi