March 28, 2024, 05:47:25 PM

News:

2016 CVO RoadGlilde clutch question for a lady

Started by Ken R, September 25, 2022, 12:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken R

Her 2016 CVO hydraulic clutch was so stiff that she couldn't hold it squeezed.  Friction zone was horribly narrow.  It was a real chore for her to ride.
At my suggestion, we installed an AIM Reduced Effort hydraulic clutch master and slave cylinder.  It's hard to describe the smile on her face! 
Weeks later, we installed 6"+ extended hydraulic lines for the front brake and clutch.  She commented that the clutch was hard to pull again; not as hard as before but definitely harder than before the new lines.

I contacted AIM. They told me that some aftermarket hydraulic lines are only 1/8" diameter and that's probably the cause.  I cannot think of anything else.  (yes, properly installed, bled, etc.)

My 2019 hydraulic clutch is a joy with the AIM Reduced Effort master cylinder.  And it's much, much easier and than hers with the new hydraulic line. 

SO HERE'S THE QUESTION:
Are the clutch springs interchangeable between the 2016 hydraulic clutch and the 2019.  I'm thinking that the 2019 has springs that are less stiff.  My 114 engine has more torque available than her 2016 110.  Would a set of springs for a 2019 provide enough pressure to not let her 2016 CVO clutch slip?   

Thanks in advance.

rigidthumper

2013 and newer A&S clutch springs are interchangeable.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ken R

Well, I was hoping that someone would know the answer to the question. 
I suppose I could buy a set of 2019 Limited springs and try 'em out on her 2016 CVO.  But heck, they might not even fit.

calif phil

Ken, can you look inside the spare short master cylinder line that you have and see if the ID is smaller than the stock line?  If the ID is smaller, is it the line ID or the crimped end that is the bottleneck.   thinking if that were the case, maybe a drill bit could open the fitting hole a bit to allow more fluid flow.  Just an idea :idunno:

RoadKingKohn

Quote from: Ken R on September 28, 2022, 01:05:37 PMWell, I was hoping that someone would know the answer to the question. 
I suppose I could buy a set of 2019 Limited springs and try 'em out on her 2016 CVO.  But heck, they might not even fit.

To quote ridgethumper "2013 and newer A&S clutch springs are interchangeable."

Ohio HD

Quote from: RoadKingKohn on September 29, 2022, 10:37:28 AM
Quote from: Ken R on September 28, 2022, 01:05:37 PMWell, I was hoping that someone would know the answer to the question. 

What Ken wants to know is, do the newer 2019 springs have less tension than the 2016 springs. They physically fit, but they have different part numbers.

Ken R

Quote from: calif phil on September 29, 2022, 07:13:28 AMKen, can you look inside the spare short master cylinder line that you have and see if the ID is smaller than the stock line?  If the ID is smaller, is it the line ID or the crimped end that is the bottleneck.   thinking if that were the case, maybe a drill bit could open the fitting hole a bit to allow more fluid flow.  Just an idea :idunno:

The motorcycle is not here in the city, I wouldn't mind doing that if it was here.  AIM said that some aftermarket lines are 50% smaller than stock (1/8" as compared to 3/16") and that might be the issue as well. 
I don't have the paperwork (or the new line), but let me know who the vendor is and I'll find out.

Ken R

Quote from: RoadKingKohn on September 29, 2022, 10:37:28 AM

Does that mean that 2019 Limited springs will fit in a 2016 CVO?

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?