April 30, 2024, 06:40:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What a/f oil for a K&N filter

Started by Shooter1, October 05, 2022, 11:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shooter1

I have a SE a/f on my '00 FXDX that uses a K&N filter. The filter has the open backing plate. It's a carbed bike so it kicks some gas vapor back thru the carb. I have a couple dirt bikes that use foam air filters and have always used Maxima Fab 1 aerosol spray on oil on them.
I have started using the Maxima spray on the H-D K&N filter as this brand of oil says it can be used on both foam and fabric filters.
I just cleaned and oiled the K&N H-D filter over a month ago and when parked over night after a ride it still drips a small amount a/f oil on the cam cover. I may have over oiled it but I didn't think so. It drips a bit less every week it seems.

I suspect the filter is dripping oil due to the gas vapors that exit the carb on a carbed bike. I'm looking for recommendations for what type of oil to use that may not be affected as much by this carb issue.

Thanks.

Coyote

I always use KN oil on a KN filter.  :nix:

Hossamania

Are you still venting the heads into the air cleaner?
I use the K&N filter oil, don't over do it, spray it lightly just between the pleats and let it sit for an hour or two before hitting any dry spots that might still be there. Mine might drip lightly for a day after, but not much.
Don't lug the motor, that causes vapors and fluid to "bark" out of the carb, especially if still venting heads to the AC.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

What type of oil did you use previously? Did it drip with that oil too? If not, clean your filter and go back to the original oil (K&N I'm assuming).

Shooter1

Yeah, I don't lug the motor, not even close. My A/C has the open backing plate and I vented the heads to a "T" under the carb and then ran the single hose to ground. When I started using K&N filter oil many years ago all they had was the oil in a squeeze tube and it was a PITA to use and I think I used a Klotz product for some time until I couldn't get it anymore. I then started using the Maxima for convenience since it says it can be used on both foam and fabric. I guess I should try the K&N now that it's available in an aerosol. 

14Frisco

Quote from: Shooter1 on October 05, 2022, 12:21:02 PMI guess I should try the K&N now that it's available in an aerosol. 

I'd say it's been available as aerosol for at least 25 years...

smoserx1

I have run a K&N filter for many years now.  I don't clean/oil it very often, but when I do I use the K&N aerosol oil.  It is hard for me to judge exactly how much to use and I apparently normally over do it a bit because I get the drip for several days every time.  Don't worry about it, it will stop.  It is a gauze filter and the worst thing you can do is not oil it enough as without oil this type filter is very poor at trapping small particles.

Hossamania

October 05, 2022, 06:10:16 PM #7 Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 06:18:18 PM by Hossamania
Shooter, have you pulled it apart just to wipe it down inside since you serviced it? The Maxima oil is probably fine but I'm not familiar with it.

I would over oil it when I first started, now I almost under oil it. I also don't clean it very often, sometimes it seems a couple years between service.

Shooter1

I suspect I over oiled it. No big deal as the drip is getting smaller. I remember back in the day on my Iron heads and using 10-40 motor oil on the stock foam filters and don't remember having this issue. I guess it's the price of progress.....

Deye76

K&N came out with a gel oil. Hard to judge how much your applying and if you got all the pleats. Then drips for a few days. I'm going back to the spray.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

motorhogman

I've been using the K&N cleaner and oil for 22 years on my FLHT. (K&N filter) One and only time anything ever dripped off the filter was when I over oiled the filter. My heads vent to the atmosphere.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

r0de_runr

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest K&N Air Filter Oil for a K&N Air Filter.
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

lilchief

I use the LA Awesome or Simple Green to clean it, then like the others, the trusty K&N oil, which can be had at most any auto parts store.