April 18, 2024, 12:18:09 AM

News:

EFI Starting Issues

Started by WhipLash96, October 01, 2022, 12:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

October 01, 2022, 12:22:24 PM Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 12:53:23 PM by WhipLash96
I recently had my 01 FLTR converted to EFI. I just got the bike back a few weeks ago and I am already having some issues. The latest one is yesterday I went to go start the bike and it would not start instantly like it did when I first brought it home. It will turn over but not light and I think causing it to flood itself. I was able to get it started yesterday and I no longer had issues starting it (yesterday) once it was warm. Today, same thing except for it will not restart after it has warmed up. I have a Power Vision on it.

Is this an IAC issue or does it sound more like a weak battery?

Thanks
Thanks,
Whip

kd

Check your battery.  The EFI is sensitive to cranking speed and available voltage / amperage.
KD

Deye76

" The EFI is sensitive to cranking speed and available voltage / amperage."
Original coil? Spark plug wires in good shape?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

nibroc

:gob:

turn ign on -- after fuel pump does it's thing,turn it off -- do that twice -- I bet on the third time it would start -- don't ask how I know this

:chop:         

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: nibroc on October 01, 2022, 04:57:01 PM:gob:

turn ign on -- after fuel pump does it's thing,turn it off -- do that twice -- I bet on the third time it would start -- don't ask how I know this

What do you think the cause of that is? I often cycle mine twice.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

WhipLash96

I plugged the battery into one of those Jr Tenders to get an idea where the battery was at. It took about three hours before it was charged. I'm thinking that the battery is going bad.

To answer some questions. Yes new coil and wires are good.
Thanks,
Whip

Coyote

Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 02, 2022, 02:49:15 AMI plugged the battery into one of those Jr Tenders to get an idea where the battery was at. It took about three hours before it was charged. I'm thinking that the battery is going bad.

Based on that I'd be looking at whether the bike charging is working.

fbn ent

Jusy wondering if you had it converted to Delphi or the problematic MM system?
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

WhipLash96

Quote from: Coyote on October 02, 2022, 06:14:15 AM
Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 02, 2022, 02:49:15 AMI plugged the battery into one of those Jr Tenders to get an idea where the battery was at. It took about three hours before it was charged. I'm thinking that the battery is going bad.

Based on that I'd be looking at whether the bike charging is working.
It is possible that it isn't as I had to swith stators because the one that was on the bike when we did the conversion wasn't charging the system. I would hate that I have drom another $250 on yet antother stator.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Quote from: fbn ent on October 02, 2022, 06:18:04 AMJusy wondering if you had it converted to Delphi or the problematic MM system?
Delphi
Thanks,
Whip

Coyote

More parts to charging than just the stator.  Need to check it all.

WhipLash96

Quote from: nibroc on October 01, 2022, 04:57:01 PM:gob:

this did not do the trick
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Quote from: Coyote on October 02, 2022, 05:08:26 PMMore parts to charging than just the stator.  Need to check it all.
The bike is turning over as I have it plugged in to the charger and same thing as yesterday. I will have to at some time load test the battery. If I can get it running then I could better tell you if it is at least charging as it's running.

What about crank sensor? But that shouldn't that throw a code?
Thanks,
Whip

Coyote

Even without charging,  the bike should run if the battery is decent. Get there first, check charging,  then go from there.

As @Deye76 posted, if you're dropping voltage,  all kinds of issues are possible.

WhipLash96

I am wondering now if the ACR's are sticking or are shot. Hmmmmm
Thanks,
Whip

fbn ent

"What about crank sensor? But that shouldn't that throw a code?"
Not necessarily.

"I am wondering now if the ACR's are sticking or are shot. Hmmmmm"
You should be able to pick that up during a compression test I'd think.

hrdtail78

You can jump it from a non running truck or car?  Take your battery out of the equation.  If you do need another charging system.  I would go with the Cycle Electric 3 phase conversion.
Semper Fi

Fugawee

You mention that You recently had Your Bike converted to EFI.  So, I'll assume that someone other than Yourself did the work.  Did You have to pay, or have a Buddy do it for You?  Have You talked to Him/Them about the issue?  Did they offer any suggestions, or a possible solution to Your problem?  Have they offered to look at it?
The reason I ask is that some Dealers, and Indy's...if You used one or the other, would have rather heard about the problem when it first came around then later on, and things may have gotten worse which may have an effect on Your wallet.  Good Luck!

Hossamania

You could try shooting a little starting fluid into the throttle body while trying to start it to eliminate a fuel problem.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

WhipLash96

Quote from: Fugawee on October 03, 2022, 02:50:41 PMYou mention that You recently had Your Bike converted to EFI.  So, I'll assume that someone other than Yourself did the work.  Did You have to pay, or have a Buddy do it for You?  Have You talked to Him/Them about the issue?  Did they offer any suggestions, or a possible solution to Your problem?  Have they offered to look at it?
The reason I ask is that some Dealers, and Indy's...if You used one or the other, would have rather heard about the problem when it first came around then later on, and things may have gotten worse which may have an effect on Your wallet.  Good Luck!
The shop that did the work is 4.5 hours away from me. At this point I haven't reached out to him. I'm planning on doing that when I can. (My life is a mess right now). I haven't messed with it yet really. 
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I ended up doing a couple of drop tests on the cables and a voltage test on the battery. The voltage test showed 13.05 with a full charge but dropped to 9.5 while cranking. I wasn't impressed with that so I went to test the cables and found that those connections are good. I had gotten a battery from a local shop just in case I needed it but didn't install it. However I was about to install the new battery, but decided to check the connections at the battery itself. They were loose. Tightened those up and turned it over. Instant difference. I put the fuel pump fuse back in, hit the switch and it popped right off. Problem Fixed!!
Thanks,
Whip

fbn ent

Glad you found it. We have all failed to follow the KISS Principle at one time or another.

Tacocaster

Appreciate you following-up, WhipLash. Many don't when they find something easily overlooked and leave everyone hanging.
We all overlook the easy. Those that say they don't do it more than anyone.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

WhipLash96

No problem for the follow up. It was weird. It worked just fine the day before the BAM next day not. Electrical is not my strong suit at all.

Was finally able to get this Bike back on the road. Put over 200 trouble free miles on today. Felt good.
Thanks,
Whip