April 27, 2024, 05:28:31 AM

News:

Accel A557 Distributor

Started by JSD, October 05, 2022, 07:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSD

Any one used these ? i can only get it to run on front cylinder. the A557 uses the cone motor  35496 module and cone rotor Cup. seems like it needs reverse gears to work. Contacted Holley but no Reply . :wtf:

cheech

This thread on this site the guy went through the same issues.

I don't think he ever did get it firing correctly.
In there the timing cup needing to be different mentioned also. But it's shipped with the standard.
Be sure to pay attention to post #25.

JSD

Thanks cheech looks like a waste of money and time as i purchased leads , coil, voes, 
The A557 is US made thats why i got it also cant believe Holley still sell them. Plenty of shops stock em even in OZ.  :banghead:

Excalibur

Some real interesting talk over on Hydra re Accel A557... might solve it for you.? 40 posts in all so quite a bit of info to study. Good luck. Hope it helps.

JSD

Quote from: Excalibur on October 06, 2022, 08:56:10 PMSome real interesting talk over on Hydra re Accel A557... might solve it for you.? 40 posts in all so quite a bit of info to study. Good luck. Hope it helps.
Thanks Mate

JSD

The Accell A557 Holley site shows replaceable parts with an R at end module part no. Not made anymore so they fit cone module. So would need reverse gears to work. Or a different rotor cup that isnot made. The A557 is $1200 AU.   

Excalibur

So, is the rear cylinder sparking but not at the right time... or is it simply not sparking at all?

JSD

Wrong time found out they need to turn CCW as using cone module and rotor cup.

cheech

So is the module in yours missing the "R" at the end of part number?

Excalibur

So, if it's just timing on one cylinder that is wrong there might be a workaround instead of swapping to CCW.
Does it have two pickups or just one? Perhaps pics?? :scratch:  Need more info but if two pickups are there, the second one could be a proxy.

CraigArizona85248

Yes! Pics would be very helpful.  I'd like to know what the trigger mechanism is for the 557 ignition. Hall effect? Light?  If light, what does the shutter mechanism look like?

JSD

Has 2 air gaps gold rotor same as cone motor as i have them in shed. Have no way of posting pics sorry

JSD

ordered CCW disy drive kit will let you knw how i go

Excalibur

Ok,. I run Dyna S single fire in a Pan and Shovel. The Pan is CW and Shovel CCW, both work fine. What you need to know is when rotation is reversed, the rotor cup "windows" swap around. What was front is now rear and what was rear is now front.

This would be easy to test if you haven't already done so. Basically, get front on compression and full advance mark, lift distributor till gear disengages, turn rotor so you time it to the other "rotor cup window". Drop distributor in. Set timing. Be prepared to swap HT leads around if need be.

It's a curious way the makers have chosen to make this, with probably one ignitor chip and a proxy to flip-flop it between front and rear.

Anyway, hope it works. Well worth a try I think. Good luck.

JSD

Dyna s will work on CW disy as spoke with tech as you said  the A557 is full elet no advance weights 

cheech

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on October 11, 2022, 05:39:11 PMYes! Pics would be very helpful.  I'd like to know what the trigger mechanism is for the 557 ignition. Hall effect? Light?  If light, what does the shutter mechanism look like?
There is one in the thread I linked earlier, post #15.
It's a picture of the underside of module in the "mount" that reads the timing cup.
Uses cone motor timing cup.
It has 2 pickups.
It's simply a nose cone module adapted to the dist.
Though service parts list a R suffix stating the module is reverse rotation.

If they are shipping them with non reverse rotation modules?  :scratch:

JSD maybe you didn't read the thread linked at Hydra.
Post #24 he timed his per the instructions but timed it to the rear cylinder TDC and got his firing correctly.

BUT the way I read it was his did have the "R" suffixed module in it.
He mentioned the R module.

cheech

Make it easy.  :beer:
Linked from that thread.

JSD

I did read it. The pic above is the old style check A557 holley instructions for pics

cheech

Quote from: JSD on October 12, 2022, 12:14:36 PMI did read it. The pic above is the old style check A557 holley instructions for pics
So did you try to time yours to the rear cylinder?

That pic may be.  :nix:  His thread was 2019.

There isn't any underside pictures in the instructions.

JSD

The A557 is the only one made in US and sold by most outlets. Spoke with sellers in OZ and they say they sell and have now new stock almost $1500. Checked a new one and still same rotor and module. The down load instructions are on Accell A557 site. And replacment module under service parts shows the R after part number also say not avalible . S&S sell a disy with no module but takes cone rotor & module and say need reverse gears. Did not try timing on rear cyl. IMO S&S would do this if it worked. If a cone motor with full elct ( no mechanical advance ) turning CW ( in theory ) run timed on rear cyl run?

Excalibur

Found the pics I did to illustrate this situation... FYI

CCW
You cannot see attachments on this board.

CW
You cannot see attachments on this board.
You can time any cylinder you want using the illustrations above. You can even check orientation accuracy of the rotor cup by checking timing of both cylinders.

Anyway, you've got the gears coming to reverse disy direction so that will definitely sort it. Good luck.

JSD

Yes that is the rotor cup mate. Are you saying it can be made to work in CW rotation ?

cheech

Quote from: JSD on October 14, 2022, 12:38:07 AMYes that is the rotor cup mate. Are you saying it can be made to work in CW rotation ?
I believe it does. And further more the Hydra link had this nice timing pictorial that also states that.
The guy there mentioned the R module but never did say if his did indeed have it or not.
It may not have.

To each their own.  :crook:
I'd at least time yours to the rear cylinder and try to see if it fires correctly.
What you got to lose in trying?

Excalibur

Essentially what Cheech and I are saying is the same thing, just said in different way. I see good evidence to suggest that it will work and for the sake of 10mins work, you would know.

I once made a DIY electronic ignition from a Falcon car pick up/ignitor and a Harley rotor cup for my Pan. Not only did it spin CW, the rotor cup was upside down.  :hyst:

One way or another, you'll solve this. Good luck.

PS, static time to TDC. Strobe time to full advance after that..

JSD

Thanks fellas for helping much appreciated :up: :up:

JSD

I have reverse drive gears. Will up date when i get it together. Paint chrome motor work trans rebuild time etc.