April 19, 2024, 07:43:41 AM

News:

Setting a Dynatek 2000 TC88

Started by Hifibiker, October 25, 2022, 06:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hifibiker

I recently installed a Dynatek 2000 TC88 ignition module in my 2000 flstc (carbureted). It has a Stage one air cleaner, V&H Straightshots and newly installed Feuling 525 cams.  As the instructions state for the Dynateck ignition I started at setting A36.  My mileage dropped from 38mpg to 32mpg.  I ran through all the setting up to A42 and really noticed little difference.  At all settings I hear what I believe to be faint knocking under load.  Aside from listening for pinging is there a more scientific way to get the ignition timing correct?  Also, if anyone out there has a similar set up as mine let me know what works.  Thanks

kd

October 25, 2022, 07:30:20 AM #1 Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 07:36:41 AM by kd
I suspect the "newly installed cams" are the real reason for the mileage change.  Your best bet is to chose a setting that is one step away from the detonation rattle that you get in the load ranges you ride in.

Added later:

If you are hearing a detonation knock in all settings you may be lugging the engine.  Some cams will need more rpm to be friendly.  What rpm does it occur at?
KD

Hifibiker

Seems to occur around 3K and up.  I have been close to lugging the engine mainly to see how it reacts under load.  The weird thing is that today I set the ignition to A42 (highest setting in A curve) and the bike ran good and got 37 mph.  I'm not concerned at all about how much mpg I get.  I am just using it as an indicator of how the bike is performing. 

HogMike

Stock carb?
Any baffles in the pipes?

I have that ignition in one of my bikes, I'll have to take a look at the settings when I get back to town.

:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hifibiker

Yes, stock carb and baffles in the pipes.

Mi Infidel

The Dynatek was one of the first things I installed on my stock TC88 last year. I set it to A36 and I haven't really had to change it. I added a Thunderheader and set it to A34 for a while but then I moved it back to A36. I added an S&S 510 cam and left it then I added a 98" kit and set it down to A34 but now it's back on A36. I too have a carb. I'm surprised that yours can take the advance of A42 but you hear knocking or pinging at the lower settings along with bad mpg. How do you like the Fueling cams? I was looking at them but the specs seem a bit different than most other cams. Maybe they like more ignition advance. The only way to actually know what's happening is read your plugs or get a wideband AFR meter and put an O2 sensor in the pipes.
2001 FXD 2006 stock heads 95" @ 10.5:1 Fueling 543
Dynatek ignition Supertrapp 2:1 29 tooth front pulley

Hifibiker

So far I like the 525's.  They have noticeably more torque than stock.  The main reason I got them is that a factory cam bearing failed so the cam chest was rebuilt with a Feuling kit that converted the cam chain tensioners to hydraulic.  The shop had a set of 525's in stock and offered me a good deal on them as the cam chest was already being rebuilt.  I only have about 400 miles on them so far.