April 19, 2024, 02:45:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

After one year, observations and questions

Started by freewayferg, October 30, 2022, 08:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freewayferg

One year of riding and 15000 miles on 2021 RGL wet head that came delivered with SE stage 2 torque kit. Enjoyable ride that can eat up the miles of open road. I ride at a pretty good pace and this bike allows me to do so, as long as its 80 degrees or cooler. As the temps go up from there performance goes down, pinging on inclines and such. when temps get around 100, forget it as it pings at any attempt of acceleration. The tuner at dealer is no help, says it the best he can do.
 Is this an accepted norm?
 Can I make it better? How? Aftermarket tuner and/or cam? A different brand of motercyle(yuck yuck)!
I am not stupid, unless I'm just too dumb to know it

Hossamania

October 30, 2022, 09:07:23 AM #1 Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 10:18:11 AM by Hossamania
Quote from: freewayferg on October 30, 2022, 08:09:52 AMOne year of riding and 15000 miles on 2021 RGL wet head that came delivered with SE stage 2 torque kit. Enjoyable ride that can eat up the miles of open road. I ride at a pretty good pace and this bike allows me to do so, as long as its 80 degrees or cooler. As the temps go up from there performance goes down, pinging on inclines and such. when temps get around 100, forget it as it pings at any attempt of acceleration. The tuner at dealer is no help, says it the best he can do.
 Is this an accepted norm?
 Can I make it better? How? Aftermarket tuner and/or cam? A different brand of motercyle(yuck yuck)!

Talk to another tuner (reputable) about it, I'm sure that have suggestions that will help, as in an aftermarket non EPA restricted tuner and proper tune.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rigidthumper

If you're using the SE Street tuner, You should be able to edit the Spark Advance/Head Temp table- it allows you to remove up to 12° of timing as needed for high cylinder head temps.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

jjdalynh

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 30, 2022, 12:11:45 PMIf you're using the SE Street tuner, You should be able to edit the Spark Advance/Head Temp table- it allows you to remove up to 12° of timing as needed for high cylinder head temps.

any data on how high cylinder head temps can get on a wet head with that (or any) cam?  i haven't seen any wet heads in the shop (or anywhere around in NH really) so i really have no idea and would be interested to know how well the cooling actually is on different combinations.

hrdtail78

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 30, 2022, 12:11:45 PMIf you're using the SE Street tuner, You should be able to edit the Spark Advance/Head Temp table- it allows you to remove up to 12° of timing as needed for high cylinder head temps.

Does it also have IAT vs Ignition?  Asking because I don't use it.
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

Quote from: jjdalynh on October 31, 2022, 03:10:19 AM

any data on how high cylinder head temps can get on a wet head with that (or any) cam?  i haven't seen any wet heads in the shop (or anywhere around in NH really) so i really have no idea and would be interested to know how well the cooling actually is on different combinations.

I really don't see any difference with timing tables from wet heads vs oil cooled.  I know this isn't most scientific answer, but it's reason that if heads were kept much cooler.  I could add more timing.
Semper Fi

rigidthumper

Quote from: hrdtail78 on November 01, 2022, 10:43:32 AM

Does it also have IAT vs Ignition?  Asking because I don't use it.
No, it's not very useful. (But the EPA likes it  :crook: )
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?