March 29, 2024, 04:00:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tuner question

Started by Alienball, November 03, 2022, 04:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alienball

If I find a tuner, and buy the tuner that he is most familiar with, does it matter what cam I get? Or, can a tuner dyno any cam with his tuner? Or do you need to buy a cam he is more familiar with?  Thanks in advance!

Ohio HD

I good tuning shop can tune any motor combination to it's peak capability. Check around, get references from others who used the shop. You may have to haul the bike further than you think to find a competent shop. 

WhipLash96

The tuner should be able to tune ANY cam with the tuning device. A tuning device does not care what cam is in the bike. It only cares about the input that the tu er put into the tuning device. With that being said, not all tuning devices are created equal and nor is the capability of who is inputting the information.  :scratch:
Thanks,
Whip

98fxstc

As already mentioned, a good tuner can tune any engine, but in saying that, I have seen tuners mention from time to time, that a particular cam may have been a bit more work to dial in.
If you have one of those cams, and the tuner has dealt with it previously, he will have a good starter map that will have him up and running sooner and save him some time.

rigidthumper

There are also less than ideal combos, like the SE 103 stage 4 kit with the SE260 cams, Se58TB, and 110+ heads- not enough velocity to get decent torque, not enough compression to build peak horsepower. Advertised at 10:5, most kits would come in around 10.2:1, and would barely make the advertised power from the SE catalog (95TQ/110 HP).
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

hrdtail78

The tuners knowledge should never be the restricting factor for any tune.  The limit should be combination of parts or capabilities of tuning device.  Not tuners knowledge of said device or parts.

Semper Fi