April 24, 2024, 08:48:04 AM

News:

Fixing Rich Condition

Started by Jim Bronson, November 11, 2022, 06:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

I recently had my 2013 FXDC 110 dyno tuned. It runs great, but I occasionally get DTCs that say both cylinders are running rich. They have 'hist' displayed along with the DTC. If I clear them, I get no DTCs for a few rides, and then they appear again. I would rather not ride all the way to the shop to get it fixed if there's some adjustment I can make on the PV module maybe in the Autotune screen. What can I try? I'll call the shop on Monday for their suggestion.

Thanks.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Sunny Jim

Quote from: Jim Bronson on November 11, 2022, 06:36:50 PMI recently had my 2013 FXDC 110 dyno tuned. It runs great, but I occasionally get DTCs that say both cylinders are running rich. They have 'hist' displayed along with the DTC. If I clear them, I get no DTCs for a few rides, and then they appear again. I would rather not ride all the way to the shop to get it fixed if there's some adjustment I can make on the PV module maybe in the Autotune screen. What can I try? I'll call the shop on Monday for their suggestion.

Thanks.

At the very least , auto tune it.

Jim Bronson

Thanks SJ. If all else fails, I'll try that. I thought I wouldn't need to auto tune after having it dynoed. I looked for DTCs using the speedo today, and there weren't any, so I guess I'll just ride it for a while and see what happens.

rigidthumper

It's actually a fairly common practice to use/keep the areas tuned with their widebands (the work you paid for), and DIY the closed loop areas (that will use the narrowbands 24/7 anyway). Do an auto tune run with their map, with the closed loop areas set to 14.5, (should bring you midline with the onboard O2 sensors). Save as a new file name, and compare the maps. Evaluate any changes to the closed loop areas, accept those you think are valid.
Do not edit the WOT or high load areas, just the closed loop areas.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Jim Bronson

What RPM range is running closed loop? I'm guessing idle to around 4000.

FXDBI

Quote from: Jim Bronson on November 14, 2022, 12:14:25 PMWhat RPM range is running closed loop? I'm guessing idle to around 4000.

With your stock o2 sensors it is my understanding any cell set @ 14.6 is closed loop and using the sensors. Any other setting ie: the 14.5 takes it out of closed loop. This is what I stuck to tuning mine with the PV.  Bob

rigidthumper

Look at your AFR table- any section that is bold is closed loop. PV can expand the NB range (14.2-15.0, beyond where the factory sets it, but I find 14.5-14.6 yields good results, without triggering an O2 rich or lean code.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Jim Bronson

Jim Bronson

I finally got around to checking this. There are no AFR values over 13.99. These are between 2250 and 3000 RPM. The dyno sheet looks pretty good at 102 hp/118 tq. This explains why I'm getting the rich DTCs. I'm wondering why the AFR values are so low.

kd

Did you mention the bike was running hot to the tuner?  He may have added some fuel when tuning it.
KD

Jim Bronson

According to the PV, it wasn't running hot. I had an idle issue which got fixed. The bike runs great, but the rich DTCs bother me. Would it be a good idea to run a logging session? BTW, I only get the DTCs on longer rides, not bar hops (if that means anything). I'm gonna check the exhaust and O2 sensors for leaks. They installed wideband sensors for the dyno session, and then plugged them afterwards.

kd

If the idle issue was before up to temp the tuner may have added fuel (like an enrichener does).  After up to temp (as on longer rides) if left in open loop or too far off for closed loop correction that can become a rich hit. Someone like Rigid would know better. It is possible the O2 sensors are contaminated too.  Reduced readings could translate into a call for fuel. Have you been using octane booster?
KD

Jim Bronson

Nope, no octane booster, just 91 CA pump gas. The idle problem was annoying, but not serious. I would start up and give it 5 minutes for warmup and than ride 5 minutes to the gas station. After gassing up for a few minutes, it would start OK but immediately shut down unless I gave it a little throttle. After a few seconds, it would run fine. That problem is fixed.

Anyway, the bike runs great since the dyno tune, but the rich DTCs just bug me a bit.

Thanks KD.