April 19, 2024, 02:48:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

SE 120r gaskets, and other problems

Started by Hybredhog, November 16, 2022, 11:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hybredhog

I got a reply back from Total Seal rings, and they list such animals but as a custom order, at $150. Thank you for the SE 120r manual, it confirmed what a dealer parts man told me for $100, and I've got to order them anyways, so I'll probably get the base gaskets from them too.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Ohio HD

Hybredhog

So the base circle of an S&S625 is .050" larger than the SE566, and the 120r comes with solid pushrod. I've got some S&S lifters coming, but are they using their hydrosolids (with 1/2 turn adjustment), or are they a conventional .100" pre-load? I'll go adjustable pushrods if need be, but the oem one piece make it easy & cheaper.
i know in recent years they've discontinued some models of lifters, but which one?

Ohio HD

I don't think S&S ships lifters with travel limiters in them anymore, but I could be wrong.

If the base circle is 0.050" larger, then you'll only see 0.025" additional offset at the lifter. Assuming that the one piece pushrods are designed for 0.100" lifter depth, you'd be at 0.125" lifter depth. If that's the case I'd send it.

FYI, measuring across the lobe at 90° to the full lift usually isn't the actual base circle. You're into the lobe ramps in most cases.

Ohio HD

To get a pretty accurate base circle dimension, measure the step from the heal of the lobe to the 1.000" bearing surface.

You then take (Step dim x 2) + 1.000" = Base circle.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

kd

November 29, 2022, 06:27:27 PM #30 Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 08:49:50 PM by kd
the 120r comes with solid pushrod

The 120R solid pushrod is +.030 longer over the regular length OEM solid pushrods.   That will change the pushrod to rocker angle slightly and allow a deeper adjustment which in theory will keep the mid stroke closer to 90 degrees with higher lift lobes.
KD

Ohio HD

The MVA heads are decked -0.025" from HD. So if the 120r comes with +0.030" pushrods, they're into the lifter about 0.150" to 0.160" then. If the new base circle is much larger than the SE266 is, it may be best with adjustable pushrods then. 

Hybredhog

So a thought came to me that if the SE solid pushrods are +.030" taller, why not use just "stock" take out pushrod. their plenty strong, I'm tripping over 100's of them, and in theory the preload should be approx. .120". They'll be matched with S&S 650 bee hive springs, which are pretty forgiving & for a bagger should work fine. The only real negative is possible future maintenance ease. Just thinking out loud, the customer is $$ driven, but I'm doing what I can to be easy on his wallet. Or F.I!! and spend a couple bones more.     

Don D

Quote from: Hybredhog on November 21, 2022, 11:05:56 AMI got a reply back from Total Seal rings, and they list such animals but as a custom order, at $150. Thank you for the SE 120r manual, it confirmed what a dealer parts man told me for $100, and I've got to order them anyways, so I'll probably get the base gaskets from them too.
The rings originally came from Hastings and are available from the automotive aftermarket