April 18, 2024, 04:53:51 PM

News:

Shovelhead Belt Drive

Started by bump, November 26, 2022, 09:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bump

November 26, 2022, 09:50:27 AM Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 11:35:08 AM by bump
  I am working on a 75 FXE shovel with enclosed belt drive. I am trying to determine the brand of belt system, may need some parts. A picture of belt drive before teardown.

Any help appreciated

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Deye76

Could be a old Hogmaster, a Karata, a Primo. Check for any markings on the pulley & hub, that might identify.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

bump

Took clutch apart basket appears stock but has 2 extra steel plates and 1 fiber plate. Clutch hub is not stock, 5 adjustment studs. It all looks good, just need to know brand to be sure. A picture on bench.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

JSD

After market 5 stud hub also rivets look close or is it junk in disc

Molly

Out of interest, does it run an idler? Looks loose to me (based on no more than the experience of my '78). Is it quite loose can I ask? Querying as I'd like to get some more tension on mine but don't think there's room to get an idler in there.

bump

In the pic of belt the idler is removed, it felt tight enough when idler was in there. My 78 shovelhead does not have an idler and belt feels a little loose but has not been a problem in about 40 years. Have replaced belt several times, they seem to last about 4 or 5 years. This belt drive is from a different company.

david lee

my primo belt drive came with the idler

Deye76

if you had said in your opening post it had a idler, then easier to I.D.
I'd wager it's a Primo.

bump

The belt drive itself is a Primo after some research. What I am wondering about is the clutch with the 2 extra steel plates and 1 extra fiber plate. Everything looks good and not worn out. The clutch hub is not stock to allow for the extra plates. I was just looking for info about drive system but more about clutch.

billbuilds

It looks tome like you have two different kits in your clutch. The stud length on the five stud hub is the same as the three stud hub. Your hub roller bearings are the Big Fixx kit and your extra plate is from the Tamer Style Clutch Hub Retainer Kit. Is there a number of any sort on your belt?
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

bump

The number on belt is a gates HTD 38078x1 1/2.
In small numbers is 3527MC.
I am not sure any of these are Primo

Thanks for the help :wink:

Deye76

xlfan

The numbers translates to a 14mm/78T belt.

crock

Crock

bump

The belt is 11mm and I think it is good to go.

billbuilds

Belt tooth size is measured from center to center of two adjacent teeth. this is an 8mm belt and it has 138 teeth, Gates p/n 78138. Please measure your tooth size and count the number of teeth that you have. You cannot see attachments on this board. 
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

bump

Thanks for the info. Belt is 13mmx78x78links. Gates HTD 38078x1 1/2 . It has been in service for10 years, was just trying to be sure of what it was.

JW113

Might want to re-calibrate your metric yardstick...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on December 17, 2022, 09:08:48 AMMight want to re-calibrate your metric yardstick...

-JW
those measurements dont seem right wheres the 8-11mm . never heard of a 13mm

JSD

bump

Measured just like the picture shows and that is what came out. All I care the belt fits the pulleys so I am not worried about it. The belt on other shovelhead measures 8mm using same measureing. I know it is 8mmx1 1/2"x132 teeth.

RTMike

Primo uses 8,11 & 14 mm belts