April 26, 2024, 05:37:55 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Gas smell when running

Started by SoftailDave, November 27, 2022, 10:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoftailDave

Quote from: Hossamania on December 13, 2022, 07:49:33 PMThe hypercharger is not helping. From a performance standpoint, it helps even less.

Any suggestions for a replacement for the Hypercharger?

Hossamania

Get a hold of California Phil, a vendor on this site, he will set you up. Otherwise, you can do some searches on this site, a lot of info to be found. Basically a K&N hi flow filter with backing plate is what you're looking for. Do you still have the original air box? That can be used with a hi flow filter as well, and can be easily modified to flow enough air for your mostly stock motor.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

This is one possible solution for you, it will accept the stock cover and many others. There are a myriad of similar choices. Like I said, Phil will easily set you up.

Air filter
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

SoftailDave

December 18, 2022, 07:45:13 PM #28 Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 09:24:02 PM by SoftailDave
Thanks I like that Arlen Ness suggestion

jsachs1

You have a CV carb on the bike. Did the bike ever have a Mikuni carb on it? If so, it's possible the brass choke plunger, which is attached to the internal end of the choke cable, is different than that part for the CV carb. If mixed up, it will cause an over rich condition  :wink: .
John

Uthud

Long shot:
But, years ago, I could smell raw gas while riding. Couldn't pinpoint where the smell was coming from, exactly. Took it (1997 FLHTCU) to Dealer, they replaced intake manifold seals. Not fixed. 
Then I noticed that I could smell raw gas if I rocked the bike, not running. 
Anyway, the problem was the gas cap. The little metal vent ring on the bottom inside of the cap was missing. Crazy dang thing. 
Worth the time to look?