April 20, 2024, 02:37:39 AM

News:

is a programmer needed ?

Started by dew-ct, December 02, 2022, 03:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dew-ct

I just bought a 2017 road glide with the 107 motor in it. it already has some slip on mufflers on it. was just wondering if I can install a Screamin eagle air filter set up on it or will that mean I will have to put a programmer setup on it. if I do does anyone have a recommendation on which model or brand I should use. thanks for your time

rigidthumper

Every bike can benefit from a tune, but needed? Various schools of thought.
1)  The factory EPA tune is lean, and should be corrected via Power Vision, TTS, Direct Link, Screamin Eagle Super Tuner, Power Commander, etc. Lots of happy riders out there.
2)  EPA tunes are OK, use the SE Street Tuner uses the stock O2 sensors, and will correct adequately for slip-on mufflers & a hi flow air cleaner. Lots of happy riders out there.
My experience is the M8 engines seem to be good with the stock map and minor changes. There's thousands of guys who add mufflers and nothing else, and ride all over.

Once you go beyond stage 1, then a tuning device is required, and a competent tuner recommended to optimize the changes.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

:agree:  The continuous feedback on this site supports tuning even without making the changes. The M8 testing sticky at the beginning of the section and the dyno section show plenty of examples with improvements.
KD