May 02, 2024, 12:34:17 AM

News:

Erratic idle problems TC88 EFI

Started by ws1f, July 14, 2009, 06:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws1f

Hi All,
Hope you're enjoying the summer!
I have a 2006 EGC Fuel Injected. I'm having erratic idling problems. Sometimes the motor will idle as high as 2000 rpm when I pull in the clutch and let off the throttle (as in slowing down for a stop light). As soon as I come to a complete stop, the idle speed drops to 1000 rpm. Sometimes it will almost stall under the same scenario. There is no pattern to when this problem occurs.
I've checked the VSS sensor. No fuzzies on it. And no problems with the speedo or tach reading strange. I've cleaned the throttle plates and linkage and checked the throttle and cables for binds. Anybody have this problem and know the fix for it?
Thanks,

ws1f

By the way, the motor, exhaust, and air filter are completely stock.
I have 31K on the bike. 

Bruggy55

One thing you may want to check, is for leaks on your intake manifold. Spray WD40 around your intake flanges one at a time when your engine is idling and see if you get a stumble or change in idle speed. If you do, replace your intake manifold gaskets.

Good Luck!
Bruggy55

itsafatboy

make sure the shaft the throttle blade is hooked to is not broke,  they break and cause strange things. might also be a TPS not sure what the delphi does with this but the TMAX and DTT use the tps info .   

Geezer_Glider

Check IAC for crud and/or sticking. Can be cleaned with a shot of carb cleaner. You can watch it cycle on key up of ignition with the air filter off.
R Meyer

ws1f

Thanks Geezer_Glider.  I did some searching on the Internet and found exactly how to clean the IAC.  Don't remember which site or who posted it.  I just came back from a 70 ride with no more erratic idle problems.  Hope it stays that way!
Here's the note I wrote so I can remember what to do next time:

HARLEY 2006 EGC ERRATIC IDLE SPEEDS FIX

Pull the air filter cover and filter off.  (NO NEED TO REMOVE THE BACKPLATE ). If you look up into the top inside of the throttle body opening, just outside the throttle plate, there's a hole, about 3/8" diameter. If you look up into the hole, there's a plunger in there. That’s the Idle Air Control Valve, which controls idle speed, like an idle speed screw on a carbed engine. If you turn the ignition switch on with the kill switch on, then off again, the plunger will cycle open and closed.  Put a rag into the throttle plate opening to catch as much gunk and cleaner from going into the throttle body and to keep the cleaner off the engine. Use the start run switch to cycle the plunger on the IAC and spray the cleaner into the hole with the small tube attached to the nozzle of the can, to get pressure into the hole. Keep spraying until the carb cleaner fluid runs out clear.  Lots of crap was flushed out. Then re-installed the filter to lessen the chance of backfire setting your garage on fire. Then cranked her up.

RoadKingKohn

Quote from: ws1f on July 15, 2009, 11:29:32 AMThanks Geezer_Glider.  I did some searching on the Internet and found exactly how to clean the IAC.  Don't remember which site or who posted it.  I just came back from a 70 ride with no more erratic idle problems.  Hope it stays that way!
Here's the note I wrote so I can remember what to do next time:

HARLEY 2006 EGC ERRATIC IDLE SPEEDS FIX

Pull the air filter cover and filter off.  (NO NEED TO REMOVE THE BACKPLATE ). If you look up into the top inside of the throttle body opening, just outside the throttle plate, there's a hole, about 3/8" diameter. If you look up into the hole, there's a plunger in there. That’s the Idle Air Control Valve, which controls idle speed, like an idle speed screw on a carbed engine. If you turn the ignition switch on with the kill switch on, then off again, the plunger will cycle open and closed.  Put a rag into the throttle plate opening to catch as much gunk and cleaner from going into the throttle body and to keep the cleaner off the engine. Use the start run switch to cycle the plunger on the IAC and spray the cleaner into the hole with the small tube attached to the nozzle of the can, to get pressure into the hole. Keep spraying until the carb cleaner fluid runs out clear.  Lots of crap was flushed out. Then re-installed the filter to lessen the chance of backfire setting your garage on fire. Then cranked her up.

Thanks for typing this all out. I was having a cold start problem at 40 degrees F.  Did what you typed and it started and held an idle. No stalling!!!   :teeth:

nibroc

:idea: ...............  :up:

thanks Road King Kong

..............   :chop:

roadkingdresser

Had an 06 r-king do the same thing tps went south.
roadkingdresser