April 18, 2024, 08:38:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

shocks

Started by roadkingdresser, December 04, 2022, 02:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

Anybody ever try the Monroe MA785 shocks on the rear of a dresser?
roadkingdresser

wolf_59

I put them on my 06 Ultra about 3 years ago they work great but the airline and connections that come with them absolutely SUCK! Blew the line out on the first test ride dropped the fender down on the tire which totally smoked the wiring harness creating more work for me
I found a vendor on eBay that sold REAL airline fittings and in 1/4" and plumbed it all in with a compressor mounted behind the right saddle bag and a Schrader valve installed through the license plate mount for a quick air up point incase of compressor failure and re-wired the wiring harness outside the fender tucked away behind the moldings works great now
It took a few rides to get everything kinda broke-in and seems to get better with every ride 

roadkingdresser

Is it better than the air shocks that come on the bike? I was reading the reviews on amazom web site an a guy had put them on his 13 streetglide and he said he hit a bump that wasn't that bad and it broke the eye off one of the shocks. He said it would be a good idea to weld around the eye to make it stronger. But i just can't see that happening. I live in the mountains of Pa. and the roads suck here. WHAT KIND OF ROADS DO YOU RIDE ON? THANKS
roadkingdresser

wolf_59

All the roads here in New Mexico suck lol
Rough and with cattle guards are the worst
Way better than the stock shocks which I swapped out for a set of TerryCable shocks which I was very happy with but lacked the adjustability of these air shocks
They do bleed off about 10 psi a day but I haven't taken the time to try to find where the leak is yet
The last long trip I took was up to the Black Hills in September without any issues

JohnCA58

Back in 2010 years, I installed about 25 baggers with those shocks, I did change the air lines and fitting, plus added a air compressor under the battery box and power system with relay and momentary switch, short guys love it for letting the air out when they had to back up the bike, impressing the crowd dropping the bike when parking, I always check rear tire making contact with the rear light wiring, I move only a few to the side so if they lost air or forgot to ran some air into the shock it didn't ruin the wiring, none ever made contact with the fender, also I remove the rubber bushing on each end and replace with urethane bushings. I remember the the shocks collapse to 9.5 inches,I forgot the fully extended length. only had one guy complain about the ride and he always rode with to much air.
YOLO

roadkingdresser

Thanks guys for the replies,think i'm goin to try a set. I already have the pump and solenoid and wiring so all i need is the shocks.Where did you get the bushings JohnCA58?
roadkingdresser

JohnCA58

Let me look on a hard drive to see if I still have any info.
YOLO

wolf_59

You need (4) 1/2' X 5/8" X 1 1/2" seamless steel spacers
(4) Energy Suspension 9.8107G 5/8" hourglass sockeye bushings
both available from Amazon
I think I ended getting some 1/2" longer bolts to bolt them on also

JohnCA58

good info right there, you will need 1/2 inch longer bolts.
YOLO