May 02, 2024, 08:09:43 AM

News:

Turn Signal Module

Started by Deye76, February 05, 2023, 08:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

1992 FXRP with Dyna hand controls, couple years ago installed a Badlands turn signal module, has worked fine until last night, the 4 way flashers came on without me activating them and won't shut off. Wondering if the module has a failure, anyone have knowledge?

Moderator, if this belongs in General please move.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Hossamania

Quote from: Deye76 on February 05, 2023, 08:49:46 AM1992 FXRP with Dyna hand controls, couple years ago installed a Badlands turn signal module, has worked fine until last night, the 4 way flashers came on without me activating them and won't shut off. Wondering if the module has a failure, anyone have knowledge?

Moderator, if this belongs in General please move.

Disconnect it and see if the problem goes away.
Badlands offers lifetime warranty on most of its products.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

If it works like OEM where both switches employed at the same time activates the 4-way flashers, it may be indicating a bad ground causing the brake or signal circuit (depending on how it's wired) to become the path to ground.   
KD

Deye76

Hoss the module controls L R and 4 way, yes unplugging will turn them off.

KD when you say bad ground, referring to the handle bar switch? Sorry I'm not very good with electrics.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Hossamania

Quote from: Deye76 on February 05, 2023, 10:07:04 AMHoss the module controls L R and 4 way, yes unplugging will turn them off.

I was misreading what you have, I was thinking it an inline modifier being used with the stock module to activate turn signals as brake lights or work with LED lights.
As kd says it may be a short somewhere. Can you unplug each leg separately, front and rear to see if one leg makes the problem go away? Try turning the bars full lock left to right to see if that helps? Basic wiring diagnostics now tracing and looking for damaged connections. Without a new module to replace and test it will take a little more work to verify the  module as the problem.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Fugawee

Have You done any recent Work up in the Handlebar, or Hand Controls area?
Adjust, Repair, or Replace anything in that neighborhood?
Internal Wiring (if applicable) chafing where it goes thru the Holes?
Hand Controls pinching any Wire at the H-bars?
Wiring too tight at the Neck?
Take the Gas Tank or Seat off at all...maybe pinched a Wiring Harness?
Take look at the Wiring under the Rear Fender?  And around the Battery?

Just a few quick thoughts.
Good Luck!

kd

February 05, 2023, 12:58:36 PM #6 Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 01:08:10 PM by kd
Quote from: Deye76 on February 05, 2023, 10:07:04 AMHoss the module controls L R and 4 way, yes unplugging will turn them off.

KD when you say bad ground, referring to the handle bar switch? Sorry I'm not very good with electrics.

Further to what Hoss explained about a power short, a poor ground (or common ground) on another circuit for example when activated will look for a path to ground and can find it's way through lights.  In this case your 4 way flashers.  If the bulbs aren't lit as strong as usual it could be combining the running lights sharing the 4 way flasher circuit to access the ground causing them to activate (but on the dimmer running light filament). 

I would do as Hoss suggests first and start by simply removing the bulbs one at a time and reinstalling them. It may even be a pigtail contacting both bulb terminals.  If one single lamp check stops the issue you at least have a target circuit to investigate.
KD

klammer76

My Badlands failed a few years ago on my 02Street glide after many years of use. Would activate the 4 ways when in traffic. Replaced it with a unit from Custom Dynamics and all is well again. This was a load equalizer though, not sure if that is what you are talking about on your FXR.