April 19, 2024, 03:28:28 PM

News:

need new shocks

Started by hogmandon, December 06, 2022, 09:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogmandon

I have had progressive 412 416 and 430 on my 06 RG and they were better than stock, but they all seemed to lack something. I have looked at the Racing Brothers Bazooka shocks and was wondering if any of you have had any experience with them. Trying to stay under 500.
Thank you for any info

guydoc77

I always get flamed for saying this....
But I put the HD "Premium" shocks on my '08 Road Glide several years ago and have not looked back.
The caveat is to NOT do the 12". The 12" will ride rough.
I have the 13" and recommend them.
Relatively less costly and they have worked very well for me.

guido4198

If you spent that much money with Progressive...They OWE YOU.
Sorry to say, I don't have a recommendation below $500.00. What I do have is a recommendation that you talk to Pro-Action. I let them put a set of their shocks on my bike to give them a try. Just a test ride. They replaced the Progressives I had that were less than two years old. Took a test ride, 50+ miles around Ormond and didn't have to think twice. No F-ing way I'd put those Progressives back on.

speedzter

Take a look at Bitubo

scott7d

I've got 50,000-60,000 miles a piece on Ohlins, Legend, and ProAction units. The Ohlins were from Carol "Smarty" Burks who everyone raves about. He was very helpful with trying to get them dialed in, but overall, I didn't click with Ohlins. Bouncy as Hell in curves yet harsh with bumps. Legend and Proaction were a solid upgrade with ProAction being my favorite of the three.

I agree with Guydoc77 on the length. I would definitely go 13".

Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

jaypee

Take a look at Fox. Put them on my 07 eg standard. Wife loves them!

pauly

+1 for the legends. Transformed my softail (and my wife's tolerance to long trips)

Thanks
Pauly

Hossamania

I am using Super Shox and like them a lot but they are not under $500, so hesitated to mention them.
Finding a decent set of new shocks under $500 is going to be tough, it seems.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

hogmandon

I have a friend that just put a set of super shox on and he likes them. If I was still working, I might get them but retired now and it is totally different when buying things now.
Thanks for all the replies

fbn ent

There are many, many sets of new OEM take offs out there. I am a fan of cost effective (cheap) so I use them and change them out early. I too am retired and not much into scraping my floorboards any more.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

HogMike

Quote from: hogmandon on December 06, 2022, 09:04:02 AMI have had progressive 412 416 and 430 on my 06 RG and they were better than stock, but they all seemed to lack something. I have looked at the Racing Brothers Bazooka shocks and was wondering if any of you have had any experience with them. Trying to stay under 500.
Thank you for any info

Ask yourself how you ride and how much you ride.

I do a lot of miles every year and some times 2up.
I bought some custom shocks setup the way I wanted them (after 3 changes) and have had these same shocks since 2009 on every bagger I have bought since!
They have had some minor service over the years with oil and seals and new shafts this year. They are keepers.

I'm a believer in spending the money if you spend lots of time on the road.
JMHO
 :potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

turboprop

Bitubo bought the rights to the Koni design and has a really good product line with competitive pricing.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Finn

FWIW, I checked the availability for my -97 FLHR. Based on what was available my short list had Wilbers and Öhlins, both 13" long. They were about the same price.

Need to decide still between HD159 (adjustable rebound damping) and HD022 (damping nonadjustable). Front will get recommended Öhlins springs and their oil.

I reckon that I will go with cheaper HD022. But then again it is Christmas soon and all...  :scratch:
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

tommy g

Another happy Bitubo owner here, put them this past spring on our 05 Road King that is always 2 up and I would do it to the next bike as well.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

billqbiker

Another +1 for Super Shox...installed on my o3 Road King Classic and adjusted with the great customer service from Brian.

scott7d

I've already replied to this thread, but since then I've decided to ditch the Ohlins and go with 14" Premium Super Shox. Between the reviews and how helpful the owner was with my questions it made the decision easy. Having 3.5" of travel with stock 12" ride height was also very appealing. Riding 40,000+ miles a year, the 20-25k recommended service intervals for Ohlins weren't practical for me. Especially with how expensive it is to get them serviced.

I won't start cheerleading for them until I get some miles in but remain optimistic. Hoping to get the bike back this weekend.

Hossamania

Scott, let us know how you like them. They are the only aftermarket shocks I've had, so I have no shocks to compare them with other than stock, but I've liked mine a lot so far.
Hogman, trying to keep you on budget, I like the idea of picking up a set of the latest generation stock shocks for as cheap as possible to give them a try, sell them if you don't like them.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Tail Ridr

From what I see, when shopping around for shocks is a $2-300 price difference, depending on whether or not they have rebound control. Without rebound, even Olhin has some more near the $700 range than $1000...I guess it depends on how much you notice kickback. Where we live, we get frost heaves that come and stay until they pave the road again and my wife likes to try and jump in my seat with me. I'd rather stay with the less expensive versions, but the rebound is important to me, so I'm trying to find the right set and hopefully I settle for something that is sold locally, or at least can be serviced locally.
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

scott7d

Quote from: Hossamania on January 18, 2023, 07:02:12 PMScott, let us know how you like them. They are the only aftermarket shocks I've had, so I have no shocks to compare them with other than stock, but I've liked mine a lot so far.

I was able to sneak in a few hundred miles this weekend. Gaining shock travel AND getting lowered back down to stock ride height feels great. I'm a shorter guy and certain situations were difficult for me when riding two-up and loaded with luggage. Being able to flat-foot with knees bent again will be a huge help.

Overall, the shocks ride great. I was worried about these units not having rebound control like other shocks but it's not necessary. With 3.5" of travel, preload by itself is fine. I feel like I could run over craters with these things. The only bad thing about upgrading is now I feel how bad the front-end sucks and that's even with Legend Axeo already installed.