April 24, 2024, 09:24:06 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Which tuner do I have?

Started by dwjohnson, December 06, 2022, 06:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwjohnson

Silly title I know but here's the background. I bought a 2010 Ultra from a 3nd owner and can't seem to figure out what they used to tune bike with. 
It's supposed to have a map downloaded for the addition of exhaust and cams. I can not find any tuner under seat, or under either side cover. Nothing is plugged into J1850 plug or piggybacked off injectors in manifold. However, the map sensor does appear to be unplugged and capped off on both sides.
Bike doesn't crank or idle very well when cold and that's why I would like to retune myself, but does run well down the road.
Any ideas how I can determine what tuning device was used on the bike, if any ? I'm guessing may have been something like SE, PV or TTS right? I do have access to a SE race tuner from a bike I tuned several years ago as well as aDaytona Twin Tech twin scan tool and I have a PV on my other bike. Thanks

rigidthumper

No reason to unhook the Map sensor I can think of?
If you have the 4 pin cable, any of the tuners should be able to read what calibration is in the ECM- that should provide some insight.
For example- if the cal is 176ST002, then it's a SE super tuner map, for a 96" stage 2 kit with 204 cams.
If it says DAG009-01-A0, then it's a TTS map for a 103/255.
If it says 10T096024501, then it's a PV map for a 96" with S&S 510 cams.
Post the cal number up, one of us may be able to help?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

dwjohnson

That makes perfect sense, forgive my ignorance. I'll post the cal number soon as I can, thanks !

dwjohnson

OK I was able to get it. Shows "10T096002409", so I'm guessing it's a PV map right for a 2010 touring with a 96"engine. Can anyone look and determine what could be incorrect with either cold start up or idle ?  Bike has 525 red shift cams and fancy chrome air cleaner with exposed gause type filter and a complete Rinehart 2 into 2,  4" exhaust

rigidthumper

Description of that map is "2010 touring 96" with SE/Air Cleaner, Rush True Duals, 2.25" Baffles, Economy, 91-93 Octane".
It should have been edited for the cam/components installed on your bike.

It's entirely possible the purge tube cap is damaged/missing, causing the idle issues.
On 08 and newer touring TC models, there is a purge tube, designed to hook to the California carbon canister (emission piece) that is capped off on 49 state models. I've seen that cap rot and fall off a lot over the years.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

hrdtail78

Quote from: dwjohnson on December 06, 2022, 06:45:02 PMHowever, the map sensor does appear to be unplugged and capped off on both sides.

Sounds like you are running on the map default table.  You will have to pull the cal to see how it is set up.  The ECU knowing MAP is important for fuel target and ignition.  I would get that lined out before anything else.
Semper Fi