April 20, 2024, 07:20:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Exhaust help 04 fatboy

Started by hunter4528, January 13, 2023, 06:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter4528

Last summer I bought a 04 fatboy in almost new condition it has currently python slip on pipes that sound okay but I dislike the look. I put new bars an cables on it last year and wanted to install big radius pipes but choose to hold off for the time. Now with a new job an the current state of everything spending a huge chunk of change on the bike is a hard pill to swallow. I still want to install new exhaust but not sure would I need a new breather an tune up? It is a fuel injection there is no O2 sensors. I'm not looking to change anything just the pipes but I'm guessing that it will require some sort of tuning? 

Hossamania

A good tune would be money well spent.
You could put the pipes on and see how it runs, but how will you know how much performance you're losing, or if you're harming the motor?
Big Radius pipes especially are not friendly on stock 88" motors.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

Quote from: Hossamania on January 13, 2023, 11:25:09 AMA good tune would be money well spent.
You could put the pipes on and see how it runs, but how will you know how much performance you're losing, or if you're harming the motor?
Big Radius pipes especially are not friendly on stock 88" motors.

Welcome to HTT

Breather and free flowing exhaust leans it out and creates heat.  Both are detrimental to the life of the engine and can make the bike very uncomfortable to ride. When you settle on the combination, a tune with a good quality tuning device and talented tuner will resolve all of that and make it run better than you will believe.  Usually talking to the tuner you decide to go to and using what they recommend is a good idea too.
KD

Lone Ranger

Purchase a Dynojet Power Vision tuner and flash a new tune to your ecm they will send what you need.