April 27, 2024, 04:32:40 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2009 replacement ABS module question

Started by Leed, February 09, 2023, 10:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leed

Hi all,
Does anyone know if the new ABS module has been reengineered to not fail catastrophically?
I see the original module has been discontinued and a new part# is listed.
And yes mine failed, luckily just moving the bike so I could have room to work on a car we're giving to my sister in law.
It was a surprise to grab a rock hard front brake and not stop!!! I've changed the fluid several times and have a favorite road with a big bump that activates the front ABS that I travel all the time.
If the replacement module doesn't fix the loss of braking issue I'll probably convert to standard brakes. At least I've never had a complete brake failure with all of my other rides.
Thanks for your help!
Lee
Oh and it's an 09 Electra Glide Ultra.

calif phil

I doubt they are reengineered to not fail catastrophically. You got 14 years of ABS brakes, most of the early ABS bikes I get in never had much in the way of a brake fluid flush.   Buying the new module, flush the Dot 4 every two years and try to get another 14 years.  I would say it's money well spent, especially if it saves you from hitting the back of a texting teenage minivan driver. 

Leed

I suppose you're right but if the new module failed like this one I'd wind up in the minivan with the teenage texter.

Coyote

Did you digitally bleed the brakes each year? Not saying it can't happen but I've never seen one fail that was done regularly.

Leed

No I didn't. I did activate them almost every ride and bled them every other year.
It's not the cost so much as it was the nasty surprise of pulling into the garage and having a rock hard lever and no brakes. Luckily there was no damage to the bike or my pressure which took the hit.

Coyote

Ohio HD

Yeah, I've given serious thought to doing away with the ABS on my 2009 Touring. Failing the way that they do, it's scary.

Hossamania

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 10, 2023, 03:05:12 PMYeah, I've given serious thought to doing away with the ABS on my 2009 Touring. Failing the way that they do, it's scary.

Same here.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

calif phil

I usually see one portion fail, front or rear but not both at the same time.