March 29, 2024, 07:08:47 AM

News:

Starting Routine 1980 Flh

Started by flhs90, January 24, 2023, 08:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhs90

Ohio, I gained some ground today.
Turned accelerator pump screw off or closed position.
Got out the starting fluid. Bike started immediately. With air cleaner off and throttle twist no spray of fuel. Petcock open. Will pull carb and clean again, ran good for 400 miles, go figure.
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

david lee

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Hossamania

Quote from: flhs90 on January 26, 2023, 05:50:34 PMOhio, I gained some ground today.
Turned accelerator pump screw off or closed position.
Got out the starting fluid. Bike started immediately. With air cleaner off and throttle twist no spray of fuel. Petcock open. Will pull carb and clean again, ran good for 400 miles, go figure.

There won't be any spray if you have the accelerator pump turned off.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

flhs90

January 27, 2023, 05:38:39 PM #29 Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 06:17:16 PM by flhs90 Reason: Spelling
Hoss, yes just confirmed that., no fuel when acc. pump screw turned all the way in.  Opened it one turn. Fuel on twist lots of it.  Sprays a  strong squirt. Lifted enrichener still  no start.. Thing to learn from is that it starts first hit on starting fluid. Leaning on pulling carb off and  checking float level.

david lee

Quote from: flhs90 on January 27, 2023, 05:38:39 PMHoss, yes just confirmed that., no fuel when acc. pump screw turned all the way in.  Opened it one turn. Fuel on twist lots of it.  Sprays a  strong squirt. Lifted enrichener still  no start.. Thing to learn from is that it starts first hit on starting fluid. Leaning on pulling carb off and  checking float level.
have you checked the pilot jet is clear

JSD

As Hoss said. My is ig iff inricher on twist twice (this cold weather) kick through both cylinders once. Bring to comp stroke turn ign on very slight throttle just enough to crack butterfly. Fires straight up. If this fails shut enricher turn off ign and kick through to clean chambers. You say you have idle mixture at 1 3/4 out you may try a 31 intermediate if the 29.5 is clean. But thats nit picking. My tunes sometimes will start if on comp stroke by just touching kicker with Boot

david lee

Quote from: JSD on January 27, 2023, 10:02:20 PMAs Hoss said. My is ig iff inricher on twist twice (this cold weather) kick through both cylinders once. Bring to comp stroke turn ign on very slight throttle just enough to crack butterfly. Fires straight up. If this fails shut enricher turn off ign and kick through to clean chambers. You say you have idle mixture at 1 3/4 out you may try a 31 intermediate if the 29.5 is clean. But thats nit picking. My tunes sometimes will start if on comp stroke by just touching kicker with Boot
i had that happen to me started with next to no pressure on the kicker

flhs90

OK this starting issue is getting sorted. Rechecked timing with the new electronic ignition. Returned carb to allow motor to idle at 950 RPMS warm.
Wanted to try more turns out on the pump went to 3 out from seated, wow, bike fires right off. Have a new basic rebuild kit from S &  S to replace my pump diaphram, Check balls, o rings and springs. Some great clues along the way and I tried them all, one at  time, provided in this topic are teaching me what to look for.  Everyone helped believe me. Thanks all. Shovel wants a good dose of fuel to bark off and the pump short on delivery. It fires first hit of Starting fluid, float level ht. within spec 1/8-3/16 below lip of bowl, Timing on. Cross your fingers.

flhs90

Happy to report motor starts easily now. Went completely back through the Super E carb and  installed new needle, pump diaphragm, o rings, check balls, and all is good in shovel land.
When we get a sunny day and conditions allow I can give the bike a good road test. It may have been overkill but put some fresh oil in the bag just in case any condensation or fuel dilution from my efforts. Enrichener circuit works as is supposed to although I prefer the thumb screw for warm-ups. Very happy as you might guess. Thanks all who helped.
My tune without AFR is 1 & 3/4 mixture, 2 turns out  on the pump, .295 and 70 main.

flhs90

:gob: Will use that fuel diluted oil for bar oil in the Saws if you haven't noticed with the war on oil bar oil is off the $ charts. Anybody got some extra red dye? :oil: