May 06, 2024, 03:07:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rear brake master cylinder

Started by Brsteele59, January 13, 2023, 03:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brsteele59

I have a 2005 Ultra Classic. Need to check rear brake fluid and probably need to flush. Don't see any way to loosen back screw because exhaust pipe in the way. Got a flexible shaft with Philip's head and can't reach it. Any suggestions other than take exhaust off ?

Fugawee

January 13, 2023, 03:45:06 PM #1 Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 03:53:12 PM by Fugawee
I have an 03' FLHTCU.  I've had no problems getting the Screws off of the Master Cylinder with the Exhaust System in the way.  My Exhaust System is a Hooker True Dual Set-up from the Heads on back.  I don't think that there is that much of a difference between that Header System and Stock...if Stock is what You have.  I have never had to remove any pieces off of the Bike to access the Master Cylinder Cap.

The only things that I can suggest is...
Keep trying with that Goose-neck and Phillips Head Bit...or,
Try using a small "Stubby" Phillips Head Screwdriver...or,
Try using that Phillips Head Bit with a 1/4" Wrench or Socket on the end of it.
Someone else may have a better or alternative method.

Those screws shouldn't be all that super tight.
Hope that this may Help You out...Good Luck.

Just as an adder here...if and when You should get the Screws out, You may want to consider replacing those Screws with Small Allen Head ones.  They may or may not be easier to access with a Small Allen Wrench.   It may also be easier with those if You cut, or grind down the end of an Allen Wrench to access them.

Hossamania

There are screwdrivers available that are bent like Allen wrenches, Phillips on one end, slotted on the other, short bends so they fit into tight spots.
The suggestion of using a screw tip and wrench is also a good option.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Fugawee

January 13, 2023, 05:20:42 PM #3 Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 05:52:55 PM by Fugawee
Good Suggestion Hoss, about the "L"/Offset Type Screwdriver.  I have a few of those around Myself, but I honestly can't remember the last time I needed to use one.

Hossamania

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Forgot I had this one.
You cannot see attachments on this board.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Fugawee

Besides all of the above-mentioned comments...the only other way I can think of is to possibly remove the Lower Leg Fairing.  Or maybe loosen the Bottom Clamp and maybe pivot it forward a little.
But like I said...I have never had to remove anything to get at the Master Cylinder.  Maybe there is a minor difference between Yours and Mine not giving You the clearance needed.

If You are into spending and adding a little something to Your Toolbox...search "Thumb Driver Tool" on any of the big on-line retailers.  I have a couple of different versions of those.  One is just a Knurled Round Driver that accepts 1/4" Bits of all types.  And another is approx. a 4" Black Flat Ratchet that accepts the same Bits.  Both have come in handy on more than one occasion, and they are not expensive in My opinion.  I don't know if Harbor Freight carries anything like that...I don't deal with them all that much.

Brsteele59

Quote from: Brsteele59 on January 13, 2023, 03:12:46 PMI have a 2005 Ultra Classic. Need to check rear brake fluid and probably need to flush. Don't see any way to loosen back screw because exhaust pipe in the way. Got a flexible shaft with Philip's head and can't reach it. Any suggestions other than take exhaust off ?
Thanks for the tips and help. Some I thought of and tried some I haven't but will

Brsteele59

I thank all fir the tips and help. I meant to get back on and update but just like my mind is I forgot lol. I bought some ultra low profile offset screwdrivers and no help. However I did end up doing what Fugawee suggested and took the lower fairing off and was able to do it with a long flat head screwdriver and patience