April 19, 2024, 10:34:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Looking for Rotary Top clutch adjustment help

Started by JamLazyAss, January 27, 2023, 06:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamLazyAss

As the title says, looking for clutch adjustment help.
I tried to adjust it several times as the manual says with no luck.

I can adjust the ratch top transmissions with no trouble.
Bottom out the rod, back off 1/4 turn and lock it down.

I can't seem to get this one.
Anybody have a clutch adjustment for dummies book to help me out?  :rtfb: 

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

JSD

Breeze

It's been a long time since I adjusted the clutch with a maytag trans. I remember using an old sparkplug to get the 13/16" gap between the cable arm and a tab/boss on the trans.??  Also had thrust bearing issue complicating good release.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

david lee

Quote from: JSD on January 27, 2023, 10:04:06 PMMay be that pissy thrust bearing is shot?
i agree. whats the cable like ?

billbuilds

Jam, Breeze is right, you need 13/16" between the front side of the clutch release lever and the backside of the round boss on the top of the cowpie. Adjust this distance using the adjusting screw in the pressure plate then locknut it in place. I slacken the cable at the bracket (locknut there too) and just hold back on the release lever while turning the pressure plate adjusting screw to obtain that 13/16". Now adjust the cable at the bracket to obtain a 1/16" gap between the back edge of the hand lever and the front edge of the perch where the two meet. Don't go too tight here or your throw out bearing will be working all the time. If you do all this and still issues I'd look at the throw out bearing.   
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

david lee

Quote from: billbuilds on January 29, 2023, 08:02:51 AMJam, Breeze is right, you need 13/16" between the front side of the clutch release lever and the backside of the round boss on the top of the cowpie. Adjust this distance using the adjusting screw in the pressure plate then locknut it in place. I slacken the cable at the bracket (locknut there too) and just hold back on the release lever while turning the pressure plate adjusting screw to obtain that 13/16". Now adjust the cable at the bracket to obtain a 1/16" gap between the back edge of the hand lever and the front edge of the perch where the two meet. Don't go too tight here or your throw out bearing will be working all the time. If you do all this and still issues I'd look at the throw out bearing.   
i tried that once before but ran out of thread on the cable adjusting up the slack so i had to adjust the pushrod to get proper adjustment at the lever

billbuilds

Quote from: david lee on January 29, 2023, 12:42:54 PM
Quote from: billbuilds on January 29, 2023, 08:02:51 AMJam, Breeze is right, you need 13/16" between the front side of the clutch release lever and the backside of the round boss on the top of the cowpie. Adjust this distance using the adjusting screw in the pressure plate then locknut it in place. I slacken the cable at the bracket (locknut there too) and just hold back on the release lever while turning the pressure plate adjusting screw to obtain that 13/16". Now adjust the cable at the bracket to obtain a 1/16" gap between the back edge of the hand lever and the front edge of the perch where the two meet. Don't go too tight here or your throw out bearing will be working all the time. If you do all this and still issues I'd look at the throw out bearing.   
i tried that once before but ran out of thread on the cable adjusting up the slack so i had to adjust the pushrod to get proper adjustment at the lever

What was the measurement of your gap then? The 13/16" gap gives you the best geometry for release finger to clutch pushrod engagement via the throw out bearing. Maybe a new cable was in order? 
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

david lee

Quote from: billbuilds on January 30, 2023, 03:34:07 AM
Quote from: david lee on January 29, 2023, 12:42:54 PM

What was the measurement of your gap then? The 13/16" gap gives you the best geometry for release finger to clutch pushrod engagement via the throw out bearing. Maybe a new cable was in order? 
it was a new cable. i cant remember what the arm gap was but was not achievable but i do remember i could slide my index finger in between.only 2 threads show on the back side of the cable adjusting bracket. my hd mech checked the adjustment and said its all good

Ohio HD

January 30, 2023, 01:58:13 PM #8 Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 06:33:25 AM by Ohio HD
If you look at this post is steps you through the measurement. Keep in mind if you don't have the OEM cast clutch arm, and are using an aftermarket smaller round arm, the 13/16" dimension needs to be increased by adding half of the difference of the clutch arm width difference. 

The point of getting this measurement correct is to make sure the fork against the throwout bearing (under the kicker cover) will allow full travel and proper travel.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,110615.msg1318893.html#msg1318893

billbuilds

"...full and proper travel." Something to always strive for.  :up: