April 27, 2024, 06:38:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Removing the Stock sump plug and replacing it with a Feuling Short Sump plug?

Started by FranBunnyFFXII, February 01, 2023, 07:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

kd

It's good to remember that pipe dope type applications also lube the threads so a small torue factor becomes larger.  This can pull threads.  Go easy on the "snugging" up.
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on March 07, 2023, 07:07:31 AMIt's good to remember that pipe dope type applications also lube the threads so a small torue factor becomes larger.  This can pull threads.  Go easy on the "snugging" up.

Correct, the primary drain plug is a clearance fit install, not a torque value install.
I should say, a pipe thread plug is a clearance fit, not a torque fit.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Trobec

Quote from: FranBunnyFFXII on February 03, 2023, 05:41:17 AMIf possible can someone answer my question, do I need to drain the engine to swap the sump plug? Or can I swap it without dropping the oil?
I put one in when I did an oil change two months ago. I simply removed the stock one and screwed in the new until it was flush with the case. Didn't even have a instruction sheet. Yeah,I know,I'm a renegade. lol 

hrdtail78

Quote from: FranBunnyFFXII on February 03, 2023, 05:41:17 AMIf possible can someone answer my question, do I need to drain the engine to swap the sump plug? Or can I swap it without dropping the oil?

Yes, no reason to drain oil.  You get whatever is in crank cavity of the case, and that is it.
Semper Fi

FranBunnyFFXII

Quote from: JSD on February 03, 2023, 02:45:17 PMI removed the one in my TC case i heated it to loosen the locking compound then it came out easy.
So I wanted to poke at this if I can. I have a heat gun that does 450F.
How long should I heat up the area?

My plan of action here is to
Heat up the stock sump plug for 2~3 minutes, then remove the stock drain plug, letting things cool back down. Coat the threads of the feuling sump plug with red Loctite from my loctite stick, and dab a small bit on the threads of the engine case, then screw in the new sump plug until I feel the resistance that makes it stop while using an Allen Key(instead of a ratchet so there's much less torque). The from there, according to the instructions, Turn it 1.5 more times.
However I'm assuming that the red loctite stick is probably not a good idea as the instructions call for 545?
2018 Fat Boy 114 "Rayearth" Resurgence Limited Paint, 20/150. Stage 2 SE-447

Ohio HD

Red Loctite in aluminum equals pulled threads when the fastener is removed. 545 is a thread sealer.

FranBunnyFFXII

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 02, 2023, 11:55:07 AMRed Loctite in aluminum equals pulled threads when the fastener is removed. 545 is a thread sealer.
Thank you, I go pick up some thread sealant then.

kd

Quote from: FranBunnyFFXII on April 02, 2023, 04:21:50 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on April 02, 2023, 11:55:07 AMRed Loctite in aluminum equals pulled threads when the fastener is removed. 545 is a thread sealer.

545 or any of the thread sealers lube the threads and it is easy to overtighten and strip the crankcase threads.  Be careful to not overtighten it.
KD

FranBunnyFFXII

Quote from: kd on April 02, 2023, 06:31:58 PM

545 or any of the thread sealers lube the threads and it is easy to overtighten and strip the crankcase threads.  Be careful to not overtighten it.
Right, I was thinking to touch snug it, and then the instructions say 1.5 more turns. And if trying to do that 1.5 turn it starts resisting at all to stop. Will it give a noticeable increase in resistance as I turn it in?

kd

Quote from: FranBunnyFFXII on April 02, 2023, 08:41:26 PM
Quote from: kd on April 02, 2023, 06:31:58 PM

Right, I was thinking to touch snug it, and then the instructions say 1.5 more turns. And if trying to do that 1.5 turn it starts resisting at all to stop. Will it give a noticeable increase in resistance?

My thoughts are those instructions would be for a plug that has more material engagement than the thin walled crankcase and would therefore be able to support more rotation without stripping the threads.
KD

FranBunnyFFXII

Quote from: kd on April 02, 2023, 08:46:25 PMMy thoughts are those instructions would be for a plug that has more material engagement than the thin walled crankcase and would therefore be able to support more rotation without stripping the threads.
So once everything is cooled down, I should just snug the new sump plug, Turn it a little bit more(like a 1/4 turn) or until I feel it's tight, then leave it be?
The thread sealant holds it in there and from backing out after it's cured?