Removing the Stock sump plug and replacing it with a Feuling Short Sump plug?

Started by FranBunnyFFXII, February 01, 2023, 07:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FranBunnyFFXII

I got the Feuling Short Sump plug for my bike, and it's sitting in my stack of parts that I'll be installing once it's warm enough to actually work on my bike again.

However it was made known to me that you can crack the engine cases if you install this wrong.

So I wanted to ask, what is the proper way to remove the stock sump plug, and then how should I go about safely installing the short sump plug?
I plan on doing this at my 10K mile service oil change.

Before changing my bike's oil, I go for a spirited ride to get it to kick up any particulates it can and have them suspended in the oil, then as soon as I get home drain the oil.
I was told that If I do this, I need to make sure I let the bike sit for a while and cool down completely before installing the short sump plug.

Question concerning removal, does removing the sump plug drain the entire bike's oil? Or does it drain only a little bit of the oil that's left in the bottom of the engine?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
2018 Fat Boy 114 "Rayearth" Resurgence Limited Paint, 20/150. Stage 2 SE-447

FSG

FranBunnyFFXII

Breeze

All of your concerns and ? are clearly stated in the instruction sheet that I just read.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Fat11Lo

FXDBI

SP33DY

"Why change it? Whats wrong with the plug from the factory?  Bob"

In some cases the longer factory plug chokes off the scavenge flow and leads to sumping.

Hossamania

Quote from: SP33DY on February 02, 2023, 09:08:40 AM"Why change it? Whats wrong with the plug from the factory?  Bob"

In some cases the longer factory plug chokes off the scavenge flow and leads to sumping.

Who the hell let that design thru?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

les

Quote from: Hossamania on February 02, 2023, 10:00:32 AM
Quote from: SP33DY on February 02, 2023, 09:08:40 AM"Why change it? Whats wrong with the plug from the factory?  Bob"

They have a special Division at H-D that's dedicated to these (and many other) things.  Sorry...I'm feeling a bit grumpy today, Hoss.  Please forgive. 

Hossamania

Quote from: les on February 02, 2023, 10:47:00 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on February 02, 2023, 10:00:32 AM

They have a special Division at H-D that's dedicated to these (and many other) things.  Sorry...I'm feeling a bit grumpy today, Hoss.  Please forgive. 

I totally understand about the grumpy thing, I'm in it myself this week.
Testing is a funny thing.
"Over a million miles of testing before the product was released to the public."
One week into the release, the ham-handed purchasers have exposed multiple weak spots that the manufacturer never dreamed of.
It's what we do.

Deye76

"Who the hell let that design thru?"

Bean counters, engineers? Maybe they are one and the same.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

FranBunnyFFXII

If possible can someone answer my question, do I need to drain the engine to swap the sump plug? Or can I swap it without dropping the oil?

Coyote

FranBunnyFFXII

Quote from: Coyote on February 03, 2023, 06:09:12 AMIt's in the instructions.
The instructions just say to place a drain pan/cookie sheet under the sump.
I'm assuming that means only a few drops to a few oz are gonna come out. But I'd rather ask and double check before I end up with an accidental emergency oil change.
Last time I didn't ask enough questions, I broke a bolt and ruined my summer.

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

FranBunnyFFXII

Quote from: rigidthumper on February 03, 2023, 08:09:17 AMCase sump should be no more than 6oz (3/4 of a cup).
Thank you! So I can do this separately from the actual oil change.
That's really good to know.

Coyote

Quote from: rigidthumper on February 03, 2023, 08:09:17 AMCase sump should be no more than 6oz (3/4 of a cup).

:up: Even says that in the instruction sheet. Just gotta read it.

JSD

I removed the one in my TC case i heated it to loosen the locking compound then it came out easy.

FranBunnyFFXII

Quote from: Coyote on February 03, 2023, 09:58:01 AM

:up: Even says that in the instruction sheet. Just gotta read it.
Oh I see in the how to check the sumping level segment.
In my defense I glaze over that because I knew how to do it with the crank position sensor, and scanning over I saw it say crank sensor.
But you're right I should have read it.

92flhtcu

We've been using the shorter Fueling sump plug since they came out on all our M8 full crank up builds
Need a bigger garage

FranBunnyFFXII

Quote from: 92flhtcu on February 28, 2023, 12:52:32 PMWe've been using the shorter Fueling sump plug since they came out on all our M8 full crank up builds
How do you go about installing them? Do you have any tips or is it just swap it out and don't worry sorta thing.

Mattls6

Per Harley manual:
1. Apply loctite 565 thread sealant to threads.
2. Torque to 120-144 inch pounds.

The Fueling instructions differ, will have to use your judgment there. Interested to see the method that 92flhtcu uses. My plug is out but my cases are split atm and I had reason to remove it.

If it were me, I wouldn't touch that plug unless you have evidence of sumping or need to fish something out. Not worth having a potential leak or case crack IMO.
Handful of hot rod Sportsters and Softails

boooby1744

Quote from: Mattls6 on March 01, 2023, 04:14:22 AMPer Harley manual:

The Fueling instructions differ, will have to use your judgment there. Interested to see the method that 92flhtcu uses. My plug is out but my cases are split atm and I had reason to remove it.

If it were me, I wouldn't touch that plug unless you have evidence of sumping or need to fish something out. Not worth having a potential leak or case crack IMO.
The primary drain on my 2001 Dyna had a pipe plug. Drained it at least a dozen times without it leaking.

hattitude

Quote from: boooby1744 on March 04, 2023, 07:30:20 PM
Quote from: Mattls6 on March 01, 2023, 04:14:22 AMPer Harley manual:

The primary drain on my 2001 Dyna had a pipe plug. Drained it at least a dozen times without it leaking.

I have the primary pipe drain plug on both my '01 & '03 Softails. Those don't call for a torque value, but rather to install it until it protrudes .160-.180" from the bottom of the case. With that tightening procedure, there would be minimal chance of cracking the primary cover by overtightening...

I had the '03 leak one time, so now, as a matter of habit, I put Locktite 545 on those plugs and I've not had a leak since...

Hossamania