Fxr 92 fork rebuild issues (interchangeable questions)

Started by motorhead_smf, February 07, 2023, 04:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorhead_smf

Hello all haven't logged on in a while.  I'm going through the front end of my 92 fxr.  It's been through before as it looks like someone upgraded to gold valve emulators and springs(maybe).  The issue I'm having is one side the bushings are stuck and I can't get the fork tube out.  I'm pretty stumped.  I had a lot of bushing wear as I don't think they were replaced when the emulators were added.

Although I would like to save the lowers I'm not against buying new ones.  Can I run 99 and up lowers with normal fork tubes and inners for this model or does it change something dimensionally.  I already am running 99 up brakes with adapter brackets.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm probably gonna be dumping some money on this and wanted to get the right stuff the first go round.

Tacocaster

According to Ronnies Parts Finder, yes. The 92 FXR and 99 FX Dyna (includes FX Superglides) use the same part numbers for the lowers (45921-87 & 45923-87). But having never done this, that's all I can confirm.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Deye76

Couple years ago I got new tubes for my 92' FXRP from the dealer. Less money than one aftermarket source.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

motorhead_smf

Let me clarify I meant 00 and up.  39 mm fork lowers.

I have 88 sportster lowers which match my part numbers for the 92 fxr.  But I would have to paint match them or pay to powder coat.  That's why I'm wondering if I could buy a set of 00 take offs that are powder coated and run them with the earlier inner components.

Ohio HD

Your best bet is to look up the specific part numbers in Ronnies HD parts fiche and compare the numbers to what you have. There's more than one model of Sportster, and the inner parts may or may not all be the same. 

turboprop

Quote from: motorhead_smf on February 07, 2023, 04:04:55 AMHello all haven't logged on in a while.  I'm going through the front end of my 92 fxr.  It's been through before as it looks like someone upgraded to gold valve emulators and springs(maybe).  The issue I'm having is one side the bushings are stuck and I can't get the fork tube out.  I'm pretty stumped.  I had a lot of bushing wear as I don't think they were replaced when the emulators were added.

Although I would like to save the lowers I'm not against buying new ones.  Can I run 99 and up lowers with normal fork tubes and inners for this model or does it change something dimensionally.  I already am running 99 up brakes with adapter brackets.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm probably gonna be dumping some money on this and wanted to get the right stuff the first go round.

Everyone is making this too complicated. Simple - any fork leg for a Harley 39m fork can be used with any harley 39mm tube. Period.

To expand on this, all of the internals from any Harley 39mm fork can be used with any combination of Harley 39mm tubes and legs. Period.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

motorhead_smf

Quote from: turboprop on February 07, 2023, 10:41:22 AM
Quote from: motorhead_smf on February 07, 2023, 04:04:55 AMHello all haven't logged on in a while.  I'm going through the front end of my 92 fxr.  It's been through before as it looks like someone upgraded to gold valve emulators and springs(maybe).  The issue I'm having is one side the bushings are stuck and I can't get the fork tube out.  I'm pretty stumped.  I had a lot of bushing wear as I don't think they were replaced when the emulators were added.

Everyone is making this too complicated. Simple - any fork leg for a Harley 39m fork can be used with any harley 39mm tube. Period.

To expand on this, all of the internals from any Harley 39mm fork can be used with any combination of Harley 39mm tubes and legs. Period.

With the exception of fork tube length must match internal component lengths.
I think that's the answer I needed.

xlfan

Quote from: motorhead_smf on February 07, 2023, 09:59:58 AMThat's why I'm wondering if I could buy a set of 00 take offs that are powder coated and run them with the earlier inner components.

Yes

motorhead_smf

Realized a problem with this thought.  Dual disc is not as common.  Maybe getting my two mix and match legs color matched might be the way to go.  But I'll have to keep an eye out for dual disc 39 mm lowers in the mean time.  It's always something ain't it.

turboprop

Quote from: motorhead_smf on February 07, 2023, 06:45:24 PMRealized a problem with this thought.  Dual disc is not as common.  Maybe getting my two mix and match legs color matched might be the way to go.  But I'll have to keep an eye out for dual disc 39 mm lowers in the mean time.  It's always something ain't it.

The later style 39mm legs are available from Harley. You will be surprised at how affordable they are. Ditch those caliper adapters.

xlfan

IIRC 2000 FXDL Low Rider was setup with dual disc front brake. The lowers from this bike is kompatible with your early innards.   

motorhead_smf

Ok so this is all making better sense.  Does anyone know if the fork stops at the very bottom are interchangeable.  Also if dyna fork tubes are the same length as fxr.  Aftermarket are listing stock fork tubes as 24 1/4.  The ones on mine were 25 1/4 ish which seemed weird cuz over length normally comes in two inch increments I thought.

Main reason I did this job was to make sure everything was right in there as it's the only thing I haven't been through in this bike.  Probably good I did as the left one not coming apart tells me something is funky.

xlfan

There has been a lot of different length fork tubes for the 39mm forks from 1987 into the 2000's, also different length springs and bo  ttom hydraulic pipes. Even the the bottom plugs in fork tubes have been different.
What is important is that you use identical parts in both legs and end up with the correct total length to for your bike.
The fork stops in the very bottom are interchangeable, they act as a stabilizer for the hydraulic pipe.

motorhead_smf

Quote from: xlfan on February 08, 2023, 06:32:52 PMThere has been a lot of different length fork tubes for the 39mm forks from 1987 into the 2000's, also different length springs and bo  ttom hydraulic pipes. Even the the bottom plugs in fork tubes have been different.
What is important is that you use identical parts in both legs and end up with the correct total length to for your bike.
The fork stops in the very bottom are interchangeable, they act as a stabilizer for the hydraulic pipe.

Ok good to know.
 I'm on the right track at least now.  If I didn't need black for it to look right I would have a lot more options.  Which I could have mine coated.  But I really would rather do a 00 up set so I can ditch the brake adapters.  I'm either gonna go full cartridge or get new springs and run the race tech emulators I already have.  Just gotta find and match parts correctly.

Feel so dumb figuring this out.  But 3 of my 5 bikes are springers and the most I've ever done with a tube front end is install, remove or re-seal.

motorhead_smf

What about axles would my current axle wheel combo work in later model fork sliders?

xlfan

turboprop

Quote from: motorhead_smf on February 09, 2023, 03:45:36 PMWhat about axles would my current axle wheel combo work in later model fork sliders?

Yes, as all of the 39mm fork legs, regardless of year or model have the same ID holes for the axle.

Side note, I see members making a lot of posts about this. I said it earlier that all Harley 39mm millimeter forks can be used with any year 39mm fork legs (minus the cartridge type). I will expand that to include axle size, year, color etc. The only difference between any of the 39mm millimeter legs are the the number of mounts for calipers (1 or 2) and what caliper (Single piston, 4 piston or Harley/Brembo) will mount to them.  The 4-piston and Harley/Brembo calipers will attach to the late model legs without adapters but will require an adapter to work with the early style legs.

I am sure someone will come along and remark about the differences in reflectors or some other minutia and probably repeat what I just said. Whatever. #forumlife

Enjoy your project.

motorhead_smf

Quote from: turboprop on February 10, 2023, 10:50:16 AM
Quote from: motorhead_smf on February 09, 2023, 03:45:36 PMWhat about axles would my current axle wheel combo work in later model fork sliders?

Yes, as all of the 39mm fork legs, regardless of year or model have the same ID holes for the axle.

Side note, I see members making a lot of posts about this. I said it earlier that all Harley 39mm millimeter forks can be used with any year 39mm fork legs (minus the cartridge type). I will expand that to include axle size, year, color etc. The only difference between any of the 39mm millimeter legs are the the number of mounts for calipers (1 or 2) and what caliper (Single piston, 4 piston or Harley/Brembo) will mount to them.  The 4-piston and Harley/Brembo calipers will attach to the late model legs without adapters but will require an adapter to work with the early style legs.

I am sure someone will come along and remark about the differences in reflectors or some other minutia and probably repeat what I just said. Whatever. #forumlife

Enjoy your project.

Thanks.  I ended up ordering new 00 FXDL sliders/lowers as someone else mentioned.  I would have liked black but it sounded like any black lowers from Harley did not hold up well.  So I went with natural finish.  I plan on running a black stabilizer with black boots so it should look good.  Gonna try the racing bros. Cartridges.  We shall see how it goes.  I still have all the race tech internals if I absolutely hate the cartridges.  If I like them I'll likely sell my takeoff stuff that's salvageable.  Just to recoup funds.  My swap meet pile is getting out of control. 
As I said before I'm already running the later model Harley dual calipers.  So this made the most sense.  Not cheap but life goes on.

Hossamania

You could paint or powdercoat the lowers yourself if you are so inclined.
Paint would be easy to retouch if they get beat up over the years.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

motorhead_smf

Quote from: Hossamania on February 11, 2023, 09:27:33 AMYou could paint or powdercoat the lowers yourself if you are so inclined.
Paint would be easy to retouch if they get beat up over the years.

I feel like the start up cost of doing it myself would prevent that.  My ole lady would not be happy if I use our oven.  Lmao .  I got a neighbor that could do it I decide the natural won't look right.  I'd send a pic of bike but I don't know how to do that anymore since photobucket screwed everyone.

Hossamania

It's very easy to attach pictures now. Go to "user actions" to reply, you'll see the attachments option. Load your pic, insert, good to go.

A local powder coater shouldn't charge much if you want to go that way. Same with a local painter, or a good self done job with a rattle can is possible.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

motorhead_smf

Quote from: Hossamania on February 11, 2023, 12:32:50 PMIt's very easy to attach pictures now. Go to "user actions" to reply, you'll see the attachments option. Load your pic, insert, good to go.

A local powder coater shouldn't charge much if you want to go that way. Same with a local painter, or a good self done job with a rattle can is possible.

Gotcha, I've done the multi-stage rattle can on my Shovelhead.  Not pro but came out good.  The paint on this bike ain't nothing special and that's how I bought it.  I plan on getting to it one day.  But I got a trip in May and ain't taking no chances.

You cannot see attachments on this board.