May 08, 2024, 07:36:56 PM

News:

Banks engine lift

Started by les, October 05, 2018, 11:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockout Rocker Products

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Glide1962

Quote from: ecir50 on October 06, 2018, 08:48:56 PM

I made one like this out of 3/8 plate.

My local indy just uses a strap around motor and a overhead hoist in his shop.

Some dimensions for that would be nice.  :teeth:

Pete_Vit

Quote from: kd on October 05, 2018, 08:30:13 PM
I'm 60. You use it or lose it.      :smile:

That's about when it started.   :crook:
:unsure: yeah, I'm 60 and I use it as much as possible... :pop:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

crock

Crock

les

The "C" device looks nice, but I'd like to have something like the banks so I could remove/install the engine with the throttle body installed on the bench.  Unfortunately, no one has tried it on a twin cam to let me know if and how it works.

Ohio HD

February 07, 2023, 12:37:46 PM #30 Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 01:52:47 PM by Ohio HD
Quote from: ecir50 on October 06, 2018, 08:48:56 PMI made one like this out of 3/8 plate.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

My local indy just uses a strap around motor and a overhead hoist in his shop.

I'm resurrecting this older post, after four more years now, I turned 64 in January, I think I'm ready to spend some funds on a lift rather than medical co-pays.  :teeth:

There are some good ideas in this post, I especially like the bracket that ecir50 made shown in his photos.

I was just wondering if there are any other methods to support a motor for a crane, or overhead hoist that members have used or made?

bump

I used a come a long hooked on a shovelhead exhaust studs. I set at right angle to slide it in frame. Would work good on a cherry picker. 1/4 ton electric hoist would be nice.

les

I still wish there was something like the banks for the M8.  Removing the M8 is a bit more tricky than the twin cam.  It takes a tilt towards the back and a tiny slight twist taking it out.  I think H-D cheats at the factory.  If I've got it right, they install with the tranny and engine hooked together in a bare frame, first guiding the tranny in at an angle.  There is plenty of room if you do it that way.

klammer76

Quote from: les on February 08, 2023, 07:26:34 PMI still wish there was something like the banks for the M8.  Removing the M8 is a bit more tricky than the twin cam.  It takes a tilt towards the back and a tiny slight twist taking it out.  I think H-D cheats at the factory.  If I've got it right, they install with the tranny and engine hooked together in a bare frame, first guiding the tranny in at an angle.  There is plenty of room if you do it that way.

That's how they did the Twin Cams on the tours of the factory that I have taken in the past. I'm sure they do the same with the M8.

les

Ok, I got to just spit this out.  If I'm doing an R&R of a shovel or a pan head, I don't need a lift.  Even at my age I can just hug it and do it.  I need something strong with complex pivot capabilities to be able to do that with a 185 lbs. M8.  My wish is for a Banks kind of thing that won't flex, won't harm the engine, single user, and can pivot in the right places to R&R that M8 as proficiently as the big country boy I have to hire for 20 minutes each time I need to do the R&R.  I just ain't strong enough to do it anymore. 

Tom H

February 09, 2023, 02:08:22 PM #35 Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 04:43:51 PM by Tom H
I like the C bracket idea.

This might be a dumb question. Is there any reason that my '07 FXDB (or any other Dyna) engine can not be removed or installed from the LH side? Seems like it's always installed from the RH side.

If it could go in the LH, then the clamp could be turned around and the TB installed on the bench as mentioned before.

Thank you!
Tom

Ohio HD

I don't think there's any reason you couldn't use the left side of the bike. Honestly I've always pulled them from the right side. I know why I started that way. I would lift the complete Shovel or Evo motor (fingers in the exhaust ports) from the bike while the bike was on the kick stand on the floor. So the right side was tilted away from me, and was easier to pull and place the motor. I'd done so many that way, that even with a lift now I still use the right side.

The adjustable C bracket that ecir50 made is a great looking fixture.

And no wonder why my fingers and knuckles have terrible arthritis now.

Tom H

That's what I kinda thought, unless someone says otherwise.

Maybe being right handed, on all my bikes, I've pulled the engine from the right side. There are exceptions. I have done bikes with a sub-frame. Those can be put on a platform scissor jack and lowered out of the frame.

Thank you!
Tom