April 25, 2024, 05:56:02 AM

News:

Lifter Block Gasket Oil Feed Hole Alignment

Started by billbuilds, February 11, 2023, 12:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

February 11, 2023, 12:32:31 PM Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 05:23:16 PM by FSG
    Putting the cam chest back together on my 80 FXS engine and notice that the feed hole in the rear lifter block gasket does not line up well with the feed hole in the engine case. The front one lines up very well. Should I find a new rear gasket or not sweat it? 

You cannot see attachments on this board.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Fugawee

I have an 80' FXWG.  It's been a while, but the last time I replaced Lifter Block Gaskets they lined up correctly.  James Gasket Kit...I believe.
I'm a bit picky about that kind of stuff.
I think I would try other Gaskets instead of leaving it and finding out the hard way.
Good Luck!

Ohio HD

You could carefully trim that side of the oil hole in the gasket.

But does the rest of the gasket line up where it's supposed to?

billbuilds

February 11, 2023, 02:55:59 PM #3 Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 05:22:48 PM by FSG
    Upon closer inspection, no, it doesn't line up well. If I line the large hole up well the feed hole is even more covered. These are from Reliant. I've had good luck with them in the past but I don't feel good using this one. They were supposed to arrive last Monday but they didn't arrived until yesterday. I think it took them four days to get out of Texas. Seriously. I'll let you now what they say but I'm tempted to just try another brand from somebody a little closer to the northeast. Thanks for the replies.

Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Ohio HD

It's been a lot of years since I held those gaskets in my hands. Could they have given you two front gaskets?

billbuilds

February 11, 2023, 04:53:15 PM #5 Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 05:23:52 PM by FSG
Quote from: Ohio HD on February 11, 2023, 03:05:42 PMIt's been a lot of years since I held those gaskets in my hands. Could they have given you two front gaskets?

Looks like I have one of each.

Ohio HD

I would bet that your HD dealer probably has them. They fit from 1948 to 1999.

18633-48D  rear tappet guide gasket

18634-48C  front tappet guide gasket

72fl

Just a guess can you flip them over and use in other base or no ? Again just an idea

RTMike

Line it up and trim the hole or use a gasket punch,there is lots of gasket surface to work with.This has been common practice from 1955 on.

billbuilds

Brian, Thanks for the p/n's. I'm not sure that the nearest dealer would have them, they run pretty lean in that area. I'll have to wait until Tuesday to check before I drive down. I sent Reliant an email and a couple of photos so maybe I'll hear from them tomorrow.

72fl, Those gaskets only work one way, one side and one side up only. Thanks for the suggestion though.

RTMike, I gave that some thought but those are foamet with the metal core and I really don't have a good way to enlarge that feed hole w/o buggering it up. 

JW113

If I had a choice I'm not sure that I'd use it as is either, perhaps in a pinch, however...

If you did use it, it would work fine. Once the the tappet is pressurized there is very little oil flow. Even restricted, more than enough oil is going to get to that tappet. It appears to be more of an aesthetic dillemma than a functional one.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

If I had to use it I would work on it with a very sharp X-Axto knife and cut it back.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

thumpr54

I'd swap the front and rear around just to check...then if I decided to open the hole up I'd use a leather punch on a wood block
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

billbuilds

Quote from: Hossamania on February 12, 2023, 10:12:42 AMIf I had to use it I would work on it with a very sharp X-Axto knife and cut it back.

Somewhere around here in Nancy's plethora of craft supplies is an X-Acto knife kit with a fairly large selection of blades. Now where did I see that last?  :idea:   Thanks, Hoss

billbuilds

Quote from: thumpr54 on February 12, 2023, 11:32:18 AMI'd swap the front and rear around just to check...then if I decided to open the hole up I'd use a leather punch on a wood block

Each is dedicated, they're not interchangeable. Will probably try some surgery if I can find that little knife kit. 

kd

I don't know JW.  When I enlarge the pic it looks like it's heavy paper without any metal centre wafer.  He may get lucky with the razor knife.
KD

billbuilds

February 13, 2023, 03:45:52 AM #16 Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 04:04:42 AM by billbuilds
Quote from: kd on February 12, 2023, 05:52:13 PMI don't know JW.  When I enlarge the pic it looks like it's heavy paper without any metal centre wafer.  He may get lucky with the razor knife.

I found the X-Acto knife kit. The gasket looks/feels like it's has a metal core (enlarge pic, gasket is on its side). Got to get some breakfast in me then I'll see about enlarging that hole. 

kd

If it has a metal wafer you may find yourself reverting to a small dremel tool bit as JW suggested.
KD

billbuilds

I tried a Dremel and ended up fubar-ing the gasket. I have a pair of new ones on the way from an on line source in case the local dealer doesn't have any in stock. Was reminded that my 1/4" drive 1/4 in. 12-pint socket went awol a while ago and I need to replace it. Four auto jobbers and two big box stores in this town yet nobody had one so on line we go again. It's close by so should beat the new gaskets here. The lifters/blocks are the older VelvaTouch for Shovelhead cams. I've had them for at least twenty years. Just want to be sure that they get all the oil that they need. They still look great. Have yet to hear back from Reliant.

Hossamania

I still think you can cut thru it with a good X-Acto knife. Give it a try on the one you modified with the Dremel. Might need to do it with the next set too, it would be nice to know it can be done.

Ohio HD

Quote from: billbuilds on February 13, 2023, 01:43:29 PMI tried a Dremel and ended up fubar-ing the gasket. I have a pair of new ones on the way from an on line source in case the local dealer doesn't have any in stock. Was reminded that my 1/4" drive 1/4 in. 12-pint socket went awol a while ago and I need to replace it. Four auto jobbers and two big box stores in this town yet nobody had one so on line we go again. It's close by so should beat the new gaskets here. The lifters/blocks are the older VelvaTouch for Shovelhead cams. I've had them for at least twenty years. Just want to be sure that they get all the oil that they need. They still look great. Have yet to hear back from Reliant.

As JW had said once under pressure it should be fine. But I'm like you, I want the entire oil passage opened. Velva Touch lifters were the answer for Shovel motors. 

billbuilds

Quote from: Hossamania on February 13, 2023, 02:01:28 PMI still think you can cut thru it with a good X-Acto knife. Give it a try on the one you modified with the Dremel. Might need to do it with the next set too, it would be nice to know it can be done.

Sorry, I kind of skipped over that part. I attempted to cut thru the metal core with the X-Acto but it wasn't going to happen. Got a few small flecks by making 1/4 turn passes with a very small blade. Came to the realization that it would take forever that way and turned to the Dremel. I'm not going to admit once again how that went.  :embarrassed:

Hossamania

I imagine as soon as the blade hit you said a curse word or two as the shreds went flying...

SP33DY

If you ever have to enlarge or alter a hole in a gasket like that again, here's the trick:

Get two strips of anything that is hard and flat, wood or metal, and two nuts & bolts. Clamp the strips together and drill two holes that are a snug fit for your two nuts & bolts. Then drill another hole between the bolts that is the size you want for the gasket hole. Mark the gasket where it needs to be trimmed, line it up between the strips, tighten the bolts, and go to work. It helps to put the assembly in a vise, or clamp it to a bench so you are not trying to hold everything in your hands. Safety.

Hossamania