April 23, 2024, 01:34:15 AM

News:

How Many Miles When Dyno Tuning

Started by Ohio HD, March 01, 2023, 04:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

This may sound like a silly question, but it's in regards to understanding better how well piston rings may be seated, and pistons broken in at the end of a dyno tuning session.

When a brand new motor is broken in and given a very detailed tune (EFI TBW bike), how many miles are generally put on the bike when the tune is completed? I realize this varies by the motor and the likelihood of a pre-existing MAP that may be close.

But I want to assume that everything is from scratch, it's an odd ball configuration, high output motor and a lengthy tune.

Tacocaster

Now that's an interesting question, fershur!

It'll vary by bike and tuner but based on my experience with Bean (Big Boyz), he puts in the very best of an 8 hour day and he asks the bike have a full tank when brought-in. Had to refuel soon after taking my (very short) post-tune ride so, what's your tank give you? That's a good estimate of mileage covered.

p.s. On a side note: Outcome was an amazing difference and the best performance money I ever spent.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Ohio HD

Agree, fuel use I was almost out every tune but one. Those being six gallon tanks. I wont go into the one that didn't use much fuel. Bad experience.

My best guess was maybe a bike sees 100 to 120 miles, just an estimate. To use a good five gallons maybe you see 22 to 23 miles per gallon average while tuning. 

I looked at my invoices, most didn't fill the miles in, the one that did said the same miles in and out. Maybe those shops have had people freak out over the miles added to their bike.   

kd

With a good performance tune those miles may be a little light.  My last tune went all day (with cool down periods).  The break in and getting the AFR's safe is likely close to 50 miles.  After each cool down a recheck and touch up where necessary. The bike sat overnight and another check of all parameters followed by a cooldown.  Then a good ride logging all changes riding easy and then riding hard.  Then a couple of the techs took a spin and gave their take on it. All the time logging for possible changes.  I brought 5 gallons of my Canadian fuel with me and IIRC we got into it too.  I don't remember paying attention to the mileage or I would have answered sooner.  I'm guessing more like 200ish.
KD

hrdtail78

5-6 gallons of fuel and 125 is about average.  I don't pay attention to mileage but have customers that have mentioned it.

My problem areas on more complex builds is not the higher rpm.  Higher loads at lower RPM's, off idle, lower loads in all RPM's.  Areas where free flowing pipes, overlap, and reversion can be a bitch.  I describe this as the manners area of the tune.  This area doesn't eat up a lot of fuel or run up the mileage.  I am past the point of 15-20 WOT runs until hp goes from 159 to 160.  That hp was not discovered because I removed .5 of a VE at 4500 RPM's.  It was dyno tolerance.

Semper Fi

Ohio HD

Thanks Jason, very good info. The miles just gives me some perspective as to how many miles the rings have on them. Although not the same as cruising miles.

I can appreciate the effort it takes to get a smooth running motor in the low to mid RPM ranges under varied motor conditions. I'm sure that mine may be time consuming to tune with the cams I'm using.