April 27, 2024, 04:21:01 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Variable Valve Timing

Started by VernDiesel, March 19, 2023, 10:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

Generally cams that have higher duration and more overlap is what gives a choppy idle. VVT has no effect on those values of the cam as they're ground into the profile of the cam.

VVT moves the entire cam either advanced or retarded, which moves the area in the RPM where the power band is.

VernDiesel

"Moves the area in the rpm where the power band is"  Appreciate that, read it several times thought about it  but still trying to fully wrap my head around it. Never been a cam guru for sure.

I've read about some of the benefits VVT brings to the Mfgr with respects to emissions even performance for an OEM bike. Beyond that what do you think or hope VVT can bring to the m8 performance aftermarket?

Hilly13

Aftermarket tend to be less EPA focused  :SM:
Just because its said don't make it so

Ohio HD

This is an example of changing cam timing with VVT. This is a CVO 117 cam, I don't know the 121 cam specs. The light blue cells are what changes when the cam is advanced or retarded with the VVT unit.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

FSG

July 06, 2023, 09:24:42 AM #54 Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 03:53:32 PM by FSG

HD VIDEO  is in the Section

hrdtail78

Sounds great.  With same plate.  Retrograding back to normal cam operation will be easy for the aftermarket crowd.  Which I think will be an option until the tuning catches up.
Semper Fi

FSG

FSG

and from the same vid you can bet that is the gear indicator driver

Ohio HD

I can see it now, new S&S cam phaser with up to 30° timing changes at the cam, with their cams. I assume DJ and TTS would need to be on board with it too.   

Ohio HD

I'd say watch for this from S&S and or Feuling.

When performing a performance upgrade on Dodge Hemi's, they drop a limiter in the cam phaser to stop the VVT from working. Then they run a conventional camshaft for performance use.

I suspect that'll be something that HD aftermarket offers before long.

Hilly13

Quote from: FSG on July 06, 2023, 09:24:42 AM

HD VIDEO  is in the Section

What section would this be FSG?

Coyote

cheech

Quote from: FSG on July 06, 2023, 03:29:03 PMand from the same vid you can bet that is the gear indicator driver
They finally have the Parts manual on the SIP and it confirms.
Been looking for it occasionally to confirm.

FSG

Propflux01

I went to a dealer in Belgium and saw a CVO 121 with the VVT. It doesn't stick out as far as I thought it would, but the floorboards are definitely narrower.
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

FLSTFIDave

July 21, 2023, 03:48:03 AM #65 Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 04:43:20 AM by rigidthumper
I have seen the Road Glide in Dark Platinum, looks good.  I have seen the Street Glide in Whiskey Neat, looks great.  Whiskey neat is by far the best color in my opinion.  Sounds a little different the a regular M8

The torque curve is very flat as one would expect. You can see the advantage of VVT in the curve in my opinion.
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

Hilly13

Decent for a stock bike aye 👍

Eccool

Does VVT have anything to do with the smoothness of the engine?  Every ride review video that I've seen, the reviewer is practically raving about how smooth it is.  Jerry Palladino even compared it to a six cylinder Gold Wing.  Thanks!

To The Max

Going by what i have seen in the automotive industry yes . VVT gives you a more efficient engine over a broader range .

hrdtail78

Quote from: Eccool on August 01, 2023, 08:30:41 AMDoes VVT have anything to do with the smoothness of the engine?  Every ride review video that I've seen, the reviewer is practically raving about how smooth it is.  Jerry Palladino even compared it to a six cylinder Gold Wing.  Thanks!

I would think that would have more to do with engine bore/ stroke and counter balancer.  Not saying that an efficient engine in a good state of tune doesn't contribute.

Semper Fi