April 19, 2024, 03:09:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Throttle Body - Cable vs. TBW

Started by Ohio HD, March 24, 2023, 11:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

I seem to remember that in general, a cable operated throttle body of a given bore, we'll say a 58mm will flow better peak numbers than a 58mm TBW. Is that the case? Or maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

For the sake of argument, lets assume they're both HPI models.

Coyote

Ohio HD

What I think I read was that the TBW throttle plate may not be open 100%. I can't find where I read that, so I want to see if any of our tuners can confirm.

hrdtail78

I can't see what controls the throttle blade affecting this.  TB not hitting 100% will affect flow bench numbers but if it can open up enough to get all of atmosphere pressure into the cylinder. It's not a choke point, and does it really matter?  I pay attention to KPA more than actual blade angle.

I got the choice this winter if I wanted to run cable or electronic on a max effort build. TBW for the win because of the control over things. 
Semper Fi

Ohio HD

I forgot about the detail of kpa coming into play when tuning, as well as throttle blade control. As you mentioned it's not a strictly air flow number to win.

Maybe I was remembering this from something I read regarding Twin Cams, the OEM differences of the factory TBW being 50mm and the cable TB being 46mm.