April 19, 2024, 06:44:37 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Twin Power Primary Chain tensioner input

Started by TUCCI, March 26, 2023, 07:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUCCI

March 26, 2023, 07:49:58 AM Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 05:04:10 PM by kd
Greetings everyone,  I was wondering if I can get some input on the primary chain tensioner from Twin Power...
I just picked up a 2016 Fat Bob and im pretty sure the stock tensioner is in there. I've got 15k on the clock even though everything is pretty quiet in there. I used to use the Baker equivalent but they've increased the price by $100 for their new and improved and I'm just not inclined to drop $300 for one. The Twin Power is at $195 and is a lot like the older evo stock tensioner which to me worked just fine....

2016 Dyna Fat Bob (HO-103)

Fugawee

I can't speak for the one from Twin Power.
But I have used the Hayden M-6 Adjusters on various model HD's.
I haven't had any problems with them at all.  Set it and pretty much Forget it.
They go for around $100.00 bucks and are Year/Model Specific.
I do know of someone that bought an "Overseas" knock off of an M6 on Ebay for less than 50 bucks.
It lasted around 1000 miles before He called Me and needed Me and the use of My Trailer for a Rescue Mission.

boatdoc

I am about to try the Vulcan Engineering version of this style primary chain tensioner. It looks identical to the Twin Power, might even be made by one of these two companies for the other?
After bending my first version and the new improved Baker primary chain tensioner I done with Baker chain tensioners.
So hopefully this style of tensioner lasts longer than the last one, looks like one tough tensioner, but then again that's what I thought of the Baker.

98fxstc

I was wrapped with my M6 Hayden tensioner till I wasn't.
The spring broke. Two to three week wait to get another one to Australia.
I did a bit of research and found it happens quite often.
Also plenty of failures with the shoe documented. When I looked closer, there were cracks in mine.
A few on this site take the auto adjustment out of the oem auto adjuster.
I use the rbabos method.

FXDBI

Quote from: 98fxstc on March 26, 2023, 03:24:41 PMI was wrapped with my M6 Hayden tensioner till I wasn't.
The spring broke. Two to three week wait to get another one to Australia.
I did a bit of research and found it happens quite often.
Also plenty of failures with the shoe documented. When I looked closer, there were cracks in mine.
A few on this site take the auto adjustment out of the oem auto adjuster.
I use the rbabos method.

I have a 2006 Dyna I tac welded mine on its 2nd year, has been adjusted a couple of times now and re tacked still the original shoe. Works for me.  Bob

RoadKingKohn

March 26, 2023, 04:12:05 PM #5 Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 05:05:07 PM by kd

sohotbike.com tensioner cost less and works really well.

TUCCI

March 26, 2023, 06:40:14 PM #6 Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 07:00:28 PM by TUCCI
Quote from: RoadKingKohn on March 26, 2023, 04:12:05 PMsohotbike.com tensioner cost less and works really well.
Nothing is coming up for this site (sohotbike.com)

FSG

March 26, 2023, 06:52:05 PM #7 Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 07:18:10 PM by FSG
Quote from: TUCCI on March 26, 2023, 06:40:14 PM
Quote from: RoadKingKohn on March 26, 2023, 04:12:05 PMsohotbike.com tensioner cost less and works really well.
Nothing is coming up for this site (sohobike.com)

http://www.sohotbikes.com/main.html

:down:    personally I'd not touch any of their products 

rigidthumper

I've not had a failure since HD updated them some 14 years ago?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

fxstdavew

From personal experience the SE and VT tensioner is noisy. The best solution I've seen is from Evolution industries. It's called "the bump stop". It goes on the factory tensioner and prevents it from adjusting up. Before you do that you may want to inspect yours first, you might be trying to solve a non existing problem. The last revisions seem to be working well.
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

RoadKingKohn

Quote from: TUCCI on March 26, 2023, 06:40:14 PM
Nothing is coming up for this site (sohotbike.com)
sorry I forgot a letter.

sohotbikes.com I have been using their tensioner since 2006-2007 in my twin cam.

Ohio HD

Deye76

I put a couple hundred thousand miles on M6's without a hiccup. Something changed, 2 years ago got one, put it in my 113" FXR, didn't make it but a couple months. Shoe and the spring broke in pieces. Put the OE back in.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

tc1550

been using one for 2 years 117 twincam dyna quiet no issues so far

TUCCI

Quote from: fxstdavew on March 27, 2023, 01:38:49 AMFrom personal experience the SE and VT tensioner is noisy. The best solution I've seen is from Evolution industries. It's called "the bump stop". It goes on the factory tensioner and prevents it from adjusting up. Before you do that you may want to inspect yours first, you might be trying to solve a non existing problem. The last revisions seem to be working well.
Can you tell us more about this bump stop from experience and how it works please? What year did they improve the chain tensioner and how can I tell if I've got the revised version?

fxstdavew

https://www.evolution-industries.com/shop/harley-davidson-motorcycle-parts/motorcycle-tools-accessories/the-chain-adjuster-bump-stop/

I believe after 2014 has the latest revision tensioner.
The bump stop mounts to the front bolt of the tensioner. You manually set the tensioner than trim down the bump stop to rest against the leading edge of the tensioner and tighten up the front bolt. Extremely simple and it works.
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

xlfan

Quote from: rigidthumper on March 26, 2023, 08:08:42 PMI've not had a failure since HD updated them some 14 years ago?
That means that the stringtight chain problem should be gone by the 2009 model year?
Have you checked the cold freeplay on any of them at service afterwards?