March 28, 2024, 09:35:37 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Leaking rocker gaskets - common fault but how do I prevent it happening again?

Started by Molly, March 30, 2023, 07:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly

I'll shortly be replacing my rocker gaskets. Like many others they've likely been subjected to too much heat at some point, compromised, and are now weeping (bit more than weeping actually). I can replace them no problem but how do I stop this becoming a regular issue? How do I make the bike run cooler?

Thanks.

2010 Ultra Classic 96". Completely stock.

fbn ent

Honestly, I haven't seen many leaking rocker gaskets on a TC. Use OEM gaskets and follow the sequence for removal and install.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

SP33DY

I have had great results using the SLS rocker box gaskets from Cometic and Cyco. You may want to lay the rocker boxes on a pane of glass and check for flatness.

RoadKingKohn

Quote from: Molly on March 30, 2023, 07:21:25 AMI'll shortly be replacing my rocker gaskets. Like many others they've likely been subjected to too much heat at some point, compromised, and are now weeping (bit more than weeping actually). I can replace them no problem but how do I stop this becoming a regular issue? How do I make the bike run cooler?

Thanks.

2010 Ultra Classic 96". Completely stock.
Just make sure they are torqued to spec. Then recheck them after you have gone for a ride where the engine has gotten heated up. I just had a 2015 that I had just worked on start leaking after putting it all back together. Re-torqued everything. Now I am just waiting for a time to ride it and check it again.

Molly

rhino

as far as running cooler I run full synthetic oil and many years ago I bought a cool collar that fits over your oil filter, I rode 30 miles and checked my oil temp ,put the cool collar on and rode the same 30 miles and my oil temp was down 12 degrees. I know this was not a scientific test but it made me keep the collar on and my temps rarely go above 220 .

harpwrench

I always use the OEM gaskets, and always follow the torque sequence in the manual. I guess I'm lucky, never had problems with them leaking if they look good, even after reusing them when trying different combos.

-deuced-

Probably too late to be of use to the OP. I find it can be difficult to stop the upper cover from shifting during installation which may lead to leaking gasket. It's also near impossible to get all the outer faces cosmetically lined up between the lower and upper covers. I use four countersunk Allen head screws in the corner holes. Snug them down and they will maintain concentricity between the holes in the upper and lower boxes as well as prevent movement during installation. Torque the two middle rocker cover bolts down then whilst following torque sequence remove appropriate countersunk screw and replace with rocker cover bolt.

chaos901

I/m sure I read it here, but I use some bolts with the heads cut off (making them studs) to install the gasket and cover over, then install the correct bolts, and tighten per the sequence. 

Granted, I'm only working on my own and time is not an issue.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE