April 27, 2024, 01:47:29 AM

News:

Need help with a dead Road King - carb'd

Started by SixShooter14, April 16, 2023, 01:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixShooter14

Quote from: Fugawee on April 16, 2023, 03:10:49 PMNo Spark at the Front Cylinder?  Could be something as simple as a Bad Plug, Bad Plug Wire, or maybe the Coil, or the Wires going to it.  All pretty easy to check.
Try a New Plug, Check the Plug Wire(s) for continuity with a Volt/Ohm Meter, and that they are seated correctly at both ends.  And check the Coil.
I realize that You are stranded right now and might not be able to do all of this until You get it Home.
If I was a little bit closer, I would have been on My way.
I appreciate it. A coworker car guy gave me a ride home to get my trailer and helped me load it up.

I was thinking about the coil. But comp at the rear but not the front has me thinking something else.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Hossamania

Yup, gotta figure out the compression issue first.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

SixShooter14

Quote from: Hossamania on April 16, 2023, 03:41:57 PMYup, gotta figure out the compression issue first.
yep, just got home and pulled the pushrod tubes. None of the rods move when turning it over (I assume the rear valves must just be closed to feel compression) The rods don't spin but do have a good bit of oil on them, though the tubes weren't full either.

Ohio HD

SixShooter14

Ohio HD

April 16, 2023, 04:22:24 PM #30 Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 04:54:49 PM by Ohio HD
Quote from: SixShooter14 on April 16, 2023, 04:19:00 PMI assume next step is to open up the cam chest and see what's turning/not-turning.

Yeah, the nut may have backed off and caused the problem. If the pushrods aren't moving, it's almost got to be the pinion gear. I doubt it would be an issue with teeth stripping. 

SixShooter14

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 16, 2023, 04:22:24 PMYeah, the nut may have backed off and caused the problem. If the pushrods aren't moving, it's almost got to be the pinion gear. I doubt it would be an issue with teeth stripping.

Thanks, I'll get it opened up tonight and see what's what.

SixShooter14

Hossamania

lilchief

Wow,
That sucks. Sorry this happened to you.

Lil Chief

Ohio HD

Yikes. You might want to see if something jammed the oil pump and caused that.

Fugawee

Ouch...that really does suck.  Good Luck with it.

Hossamania

April 16, 2023, 07:37:47 PM #37 Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 08:22:12 PM by Hossamania Reason: Irrelevant information
Delete

kd

Quote from: Hossamania on April 16, 2023, 07:37:47 PMI might be confused, but did you see the pics in post 32?

Thanks Hoss.  I started the post before that info was posted.  I looked back but not far enough I guess.  Now it's irrelevant so I removed it.  It's gonna be a full cleanup.
KD

Hossamania

I figured something happened with timing of your post. Six has his work cut out for him.

jls 64

js

SixShooter14

thanks guys. I'll get the cam and pinion gear out to see what the shaft looks like and update ya.

honestly thinking real hard about swapping it with S&S V111 or something... could be fun.

rigidthumper

Remember, pull and clean the oil tank while the engine is out. There are chunks in the oil return passage, so expect the oil pump drive keys to be sheared, and possible pump damage. Inspect the lifter rollers when you get it apart- I've seen them cause problems like this when they shed a roller.
 :sad: , but it can be fixed.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ironheadmike

Compression has nothing to do with the spark on a carbed evo .

Hossamania

Quote from: Ironheadmike on April 17, 2023, 08:55:38 AMCompression has nothing to do with the spark on a carbed evo .

I didn't think so, but I wasn't sure.

Finn

-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Fugawee

If Your Bike can be repaired at a reasonable rate...I think I would do that.
Considering the price of an S+S V111 Engine, and the other little things that may come in to play should You be thinking about going that route, it could turn out to be a rather expensive day.
I might even be thinking about spending that Engine money on a 90's or early 2000's FLH depending on what's for sale out there, and what is likeable about it.
I realize that the S+S could be a lot of fun, but the price seems a little steep for Me considering it's a 1995 Road King.  Plus, the Labor, unless You plan on tackling the project Yourself.
Just My opinion which I'm aware nobody asked for.
But hey...It's Your Bike, and Your Money.
Whatever You should decide, I hope that it works out for the Best for You.

SixShooter14

Quote from: Fugawee on April 17, 2023, 10:20:35 AM...
I might even be thinking about spending that Engine money on a 90's or early 2000's FLH depending on what's for sale out there, and what is likeable about it.
Yep, I've been wanting another slimmed down bar-hopper since I traded my lowered/raked Softail in on this Road King. I love the King, but really wish I had paid cash rather than traded for it 5 years ago.

I'm thinking a late '90s Heritage or Fat Boy for $4-5k. At the very least, it'll save this year's riding season while rebuild and then I can.... consider selling it  :hyst:

lilchief

So what actually let loose in the camchest?

SixShooter14

Quote from: lilchief on April 17, 2023, 02:00:14 PMSo what actually let loose in the camchest?
not sure yet. I pulled out the chunks of the worm gear. I'll get to pulling the cam, lifters, and pinion gear out tonight then probably pull the oil pump. I'd bet Ohio had it with that key that drives the worm/pinion gear.