April 27, 2024, 03:31:06 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Need help with a dead Road King - carb'd

Started by SixShooter14, April 16, 2023, 01:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixShooter14

Sorry I left you guys hanging... Been a busy couple months.

I replaced the oil pump with a Sifton one. Maybe I'll regret not going HV/HP, but I doubt it.
I did cut open the oil filter with snips and found nothing but real fine black powdery dust (same stuff you find on the drain plug magnet.

got the cam chest and oil passages good and clean and buttoned it back up. plenty of assy lube
Primed the new pump and turned it over a few dozen times by hand, then did a compression test.
A static compression check put both cylinders right at 160psi. sounds right to me

started it up and took about 2-3 minutes for the oil pressure light to go off. But it did... no noises, no knocking, no leaking...

rode it to work and back today without issue. Have a poker run on Saturday, so hopefully it's good.

Thank you all for the help.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

SixShooter14

Made my poker run on Saturday. Ran 250 miles through the twisty hilly roads. Bike ran great. I'm going to go ahead and change the oil/filter and go around with a torque wrench. But there's currently no leaks and she had no issues.

Also, I won $230 with a Full House and got tons of compliments on the sound and look of my bike. There's just something about a carb'd Harley. So, that's nice!!!
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i