May 02, 2024, 03:25:29 AM

News:

03 TCA front outer cam brg

Started by xlfan, May 11, 2023, 08:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorhogman

I'm no expert, but I sure wouldn't use that cam plate. That would weigh on my brain for ever.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

-deuced-

May 27, 2023, 05:03:58 PM #26 Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 05:08:48 PM by -deuced-
Bearing outer race removal technique,  :up:

I can kind of see the temptation to re-use the camplate but I'd replace it. The lip in the bearing bore is for setting of the bearing depth. As long as most of it is there and there are no high spots on the bore side and you can guarantee no bits of lip will break off and you're sure the bore is not distorted it might work. I can only see a glimpse but there is visible wear from the oil pump although that's to be expected regardless of cam bearing condition. The replacement camplate doesn't have to be new. Anything with less than 50k miles is probably going to be in better condition. Cams in previous pics look stock so I'm guessing engine is stock. If you post in the Wanted section you might even get a stock camplate with a matching oil pump.

Have you recovered the rest of the bearing?

xlfan

Not found the remaining 2 balls, going to pull oil tank (Dyna), hoping they have been ground so small that they have passed the scavenge gerotors.

rigidthumper

Think about all the tiny pieces of metal sitting in the crevices of the oil passages...
And then remember to remove & clean the oil bag, after you find a different cam plate :)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kouack

Quote from: xlfan on May 28, 2023, 12:58:51 AMNot found the remaining 2 balls, going to pull oil tank (Dyna), hoping they have been ground so small that they have passed the scavenge gerotors.

I can safely say if the 2 balls you are looking for would have passed into the oil pump, you would be looking for many little pieces of the oil pump gerotors also.

kd

May 28, 2023, 07:22:06 AM #30 Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 08:22:26 AM by kd
Unfortunately, as others have stated, you have a huge detail cleaning chore in your future.  The fine grit (and the 2 missing balls) will cause another engine failure if left to migrate around.  I expect the balls are in the engine sump below the flywheels after exiting the bearing to the inside.  The real fine particles that made it through the oil pump Some of which is aluminum and non magnetic)  will be in the rod and main bearings or presently stored in the crevices of the oil reservoir and oil passages.  I would just get used to the idea that it has to be done and get started.  Otherwise the risk of a catastrophic failure is huge and it will undo anything you replace by taking a shortcut.   
KD

Mi Infidel

Not sure where you're at on your project but I have a serviceable cam plate if you need it. I may be able to put together a stock oil pump too. Let me know. I'm facing my own fiasco at the moment with my bike 😔 
2001 FXD 2006 stock heads 95" @ 10.5:1 Fueling 543
Dynatek ignition Supertrapp 2:1 29 tooth front pulley

xlfan

Appreciate the offer, but the owner has found a replacement cam plate, oil pump, complete with cams and inner cam chain.

xlfan

I wonder if the tensioner shoes have been replaced, front cam pressed out of bearing without replacing the front bearing in the past.
Oil tank and oil filter contained so much magnetic steel debris (but no sign of the 2 missing bearing balls),  that the verdict is total disassembling of engine, including flywheels.

kd

Quote from: xlfan on June 10, 2023, 07:08:57 AMI wonder if the tensioner shoes have been replaced, front cam pressed out of bearing without replacing the front bearing in the past.
Oil tank and oil filter contained so much magnetic steel debris (but no sign of the 2 missing bearing balls),  that the verdict is total disassembling of engine, including flywheels.

:up:  Finding that kind of magnetic fuzz in the oil means you really don't have a choice.  The crank bearings and pins as well as the rest of the oil system will have to be detailed if you don't want to be risking all that you spend on getting it back up and running.
KD

Mi Infidel

Quote from: xlfan on June 10, 2023, 06:58:29 AMAppreciate the offer, but the owner has found a replacement cam plate, oil pump, complete with cams and inner cam chain.
I missed the part about it being a customer bike. I thought it was your bike before reading the thread again. Good call on splitting the cases. 
2001 FXD 2006 stock heads 95" @ 10.5:1 Fueling 543
Dynatek ignition Supertrapp 2:1 29 tooth front pulley