April 27, 2024, 04:03:30 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

4 speed main shaft leak

Started by Chippitt68, May 13, 2023, 02:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chippitt68

I have a leak on my 1982 flh since I bought it. It's gotten worse, to the point I don't want to ride it. I ordered the tools I needed and took it apart today. I've read several threads on this forum and the consensus is, if the MDG bushing is bad, you cannot fix the leak with a new seal or super nut.
How can you tell if the MDG bushing is bad? There is no discernible play side to side or up and down. There is about .020 end play when the sprocket and nut are installed. This was a hard measurement to get as I measured from the MDG to the end of the main shaft and my cheap caliper was difficult to maneuver. I'm confident that it's very close to .020 inch. 
The seal was really easy to pull out.It's rubber, no metal case.  The spacer is proud of the case an average of .073 inch.

Chippitt68

Here are some pics of the mess. Chain is shot. It's more like rebar than a chain.

FSG

May 13, 2023, 03:04:29 PM #2 Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 03:24:59 PM by FSG

Chippitt68

eBay link from video doesn't work. No longer selling there. I did look for this and I cannot find anywhere. Read the threads from saddlebagrail.

FSG

I have the DIMs somewhere so that one can be made

billbuilds

Quote from: Chippitt68 on May 13, 2023, 03:58:10 PMeBay link from video doesn't work. No longer selling there. I did look for this and I cannot find anywhere. Read the threads from saddlebagrail.

They are on eBay. Just search "Shovelhead Leak Free Transmission". Be sure to order the correct one. I'd recommend using a Cometic seal. I have instructions that Ray emailed me years ago. Very helpful. If you get the o-ring spacer and you need just PM me and I'll forward them to you. Bottom line is you don't install it straight on.
                                      Good prep and patience is the key. HTH, Bill

Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Chippitt68

Quote from: FSG on May 13, 2023, 05:00:40 PMI have the DIMs somewhere so that one can be made
Thanks FSG. I should have said I read the threads from saddlebagrail. What I wrote sounded like I was telling you to read them. Not my intention and I apologize. Thanks for your help.

Chippitt68

Quote from: billbuilds on May 14, 2023, 03:21:56 AM
Quote from: Chippitt68 on May 13, 2023, 03:58:10 PMeBay link from video doesn't work. No longer selling there. I did look for this and I cannot find anywhere. Read the threads from saddlebagrail.

They are on eBay. Just search "Shovelhead Leak Free Transmission". Be sure to order the correct one. I'd recommend using a Cometic seal. I have instructions that Ray emailed me years ago. Very helpful. If you get the o-ring spacer and you need just PM me and I'll forward them to you. Bottom line is you don't install it straight on.
                                      Good prep and patience is the key. HTH, Bill

Thanks. I found it with that search. I ordered one. Appreciate the help

fbn ent

Think I'll order one up too!
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

RTMike

I purchased 6 of them 2 mounts ago,Ray is still in business

JSD

JW113

Get some extra O-rings, Viton. Trust me on this.
 :wink:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Chippitt68

I got the spacer from Ray. It was tight going on. I had to rap on it. I assume that's because of the o ring.I lubed the inside of the spacer and the tape I wrapped 4th gear. I used a single tight wrap of electrical tape. All the tape I had on there came off after install. I pushed the seal in too far and I don't see any way to get it out flush with the case without damaging it. I'll get another seal. Can I test by filling trans with fluid letting it sit overnight? Put the sprocket, nut and clutch basket back on and spin? I don't want to put everything back together until I'm reasonably sure the leak is gone.

Ohio HD

If you do that  I'd use some very light oil, like ATF. That way if it will leak, it should leak sooner. But then sometimes it takes parts moving (when riding) to have the leak. You can always flush the ATF out before closing the transmission up.

JW113

No need to flush it, just drain it. After all, it is automatic TRANSMISSION fluid! In fact, that is what I use in my sportster primary/trans. No issues what-so-ever.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

JSD

As above and you could put nut on MS and spin with a drill impact tool etc

Chippitt68

I will do that. I am waiting on the new seal. I was cleaning up the inner primary today. I had it laid out on a towel and was scrubbing with brush and brake clean. I turned it over and these two washers fell out. I have no idea where they would have come from. I had wiped the inner off when I removed it and didn't notice them at that time. They are very small. Any idea where they might go?

billbuilds

Did you make sure that there weren't any burrs on your splines? I found that putting the electrical tape just to the back edge of the splines made it such that I could install the spacer/seal by tipping it slighting and pushing a little bit at a time on the spacer to get the o-ring over the tape/main shaft seam. You shouldn't have to rap it and. again, you don't want to try to install it straight on so that all of the o-ring is going on at once. Tip it slightly and gently push on the spacer going in either a clockwise or counter clockwise direction  pushing more o-ring over that tape seam as you make your circle. It'll be a bit tight but it should not bind and you should not have to wrap the spacer to get the o-ring over the hump.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

xlfan

The leak isn't coming from the mainshaft seal? That could be an indication of worn MDG bushing.

billbuilds

"How can you tell if the MDG bushing is bad?" To be certain you really need to measure.

Ohio HD

May 22, 2023, 05:42:23 AM #20 Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 06:36:38 AM by Ohio HD
One thing I just noticed. The inner primary is missing a seal that goes after the inner primary bearing shown. Possibly you pulled that seal already, but I wanted to mention it just in case it were missing. It looks like there was seepage there as well. Should be part number 12052A 12018 (see below posts).

xlfan

I do believe that inner primary oil seal is p/n 12018 for 70-e84.

Ohio HD

You're right. Interesting that HD shows both now that I look at their site again. When I scrolled I stopped at the 12052A first, item #32. Above it is another item #32, the 12018 seal.

I looked both HD numbers up under the James catalog, the 12052A is for five speeds. Which there were none offered in the Electra Glide to my knowledge. Only the Tour Glides. So HD has it listed wrong for that year and model.   

Chippitt68

Quote from: billbuilds on May 21, 2023, 06:11:20 PMDid you make sure that there weren't any burrs on your splines? I found that putting the electrical tape just to the back edge of the splines made it such that I could install the spacer/seal by tipping it slighting and pushing a little bit at a time on the spacer to get the o-ring over the tape/main shaft seam. You shouldn't have to rap it and. again, you don't want to try to install it straight on so that all of the o-ring is going on at once. Tip it slightly and gently push on the spacer going in either a clockwise or counter clockwise direction  pushing more o-ring over that tape seam as you make your circle. It'll be a bit tight but it should not bind and you should not have to wrap the spacer to get the o-ring over the hump.
I did tape the main shaft. After reading your post, I removed the seal. It was difficult to remove. There was tape under the O ring. It doesn't look like the ring was damaged. I got a couple spares with the spacer so I will replace. I did slide the spacer on without the Iring and it does slide on easily. I'll will take your advice when I get the new seal.

Chippitt68

Quote from: billbuilds on May 22, 2023, 04:30:00 AM"How can you tell if the MDG bushing is bad?" To be certain you really need to measure.
There is no decernable movement in the main shaft. The mdg does have end play. I do not have the ability to put a dial indicator on the main shaft. The main drive gear is a different story. I pushed it in measured with caliper to end of main shaft, pulled mdg out and measured again.  .104 was the difference. Toast?

Chippitt68

May 22, 2023, 05:49:47 PM #25 Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 05:52:34 PM by Ohio HD
Quote from: Ohio HD on May 22, 2023, 05:42:23 AMOne thing I just noticed. The inner primary is missing a seal that goes after the inner primary bearing shown. Possibly you pulled that seal already, but I wanted to mention it just in case it were missing. It looks like there was seepage there as well. Should be part number 12052A 12018 (see below posts).

There was no seal on the ipb. I got one with the gasket kit for inner primary. I will install when I put it together. Good catch, thanks.

Ohio HD

QuoteThere was no seal on the ipb. I got one with the gasket kit for inner primary. I will install when I put it together. Good catch, thanks.

I'd suggest replacing that bearing as well, your right there and they're not expensive. Less than $10.00 for a quality bearing.

JSD

Chippitt68

With the sprocket on and nut tight .0013

JSD

billbuilds

Is there any discernable movement when you try to rock the sprocket? Should be a tiny bit but not a lot. New seal installs flush with outer edge of case boss. Best to install seal on spacer (lube well) then spacer/seal as one onto main shaft. One wrap of tape just to very inner edge of splines only after you're certain that they're free of burrs. Grease both tape covering splines and o-ringed portion of spacer well. And then just ease it on. 

Edit: Take the time to clean those splines well so that your tape stays put.

Chippitt68

JSD

billbuilds

I can't see your video however judging by your description it sounds like you're good to go.

Chippitt68

https://youtube.com/shorts/DFY4o8AfKk4?feature=share

Not sure why is isn't working. I'll try and share from YouTube.

Ohio HD

You have to change the video properties on you tube from "private" to "public".

bump

You might want to change the small seal between the mainshaft and the 4th gear. That is what I just finished changing, stopped leak.

Chippitt68

Chippitt68

Quote from: bump on May 25, 2023, 01:31:04 PMYou might want to change the small seal between the mainshaft and the 4th gear. That is what I just finished changing, stopped leak.
I did replace that one. Came in the kit. Thanks.

76shuvlinoff

June 04, 2023, 12:42:39 PM #39 Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 09:24:42 AM by Coyote
Quote from: Ohio HD on May 22, 2023, 05:56:49 PM
QuoteThere was no seal on the ipb. I got one with the gasket kit for inner primary. I will install when I put it together. Good catch, thanks.

I'd suggest replacing that bearing as well, your right there and they're not expensive. Less than $10.00 for a quality bearing.

The last one I did there was quite a price difference between a Chinese and Japanese bearing.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Ohio HD

I didn't list a part number before for the inner primary bearing. I haven't had one in my possession for a long time, so I'm going off old notes I have. My notes say the bearing is HD #9040, and that is a standard bearing number EE9. There's a guy on eBay that has a lot of SKF, FAG, Fafnir, etc. bearings. He has the EE9 for $9.95 and up. Another guy has EE9 Koyo sealed in both side for $14.95.

I buy 75% of my bearings on eBay.

This link gives the EE9 bearing dimensions, it's a deep groove ball bearing. I'd measure the old bearing first before ordering.

Inner (d) MM 25,4
Outer (D) MM 50,8
Width (B) MM 9,53

https://www.abf.store/s/en/bearings/EE9-SKF/241464

Chippitt68

Thanks. Looks like they are out of stock. Found 'oem' at local shop.