April 19, 2024, 04:41:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

EQ On Stock Head Unit (2020)

Started by Propflux01, May 29, 2023, 06:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Propflux01

Is there any hack or way to change the "automatic" EQ curve when the bike is started? I listen exclusively with wired earbuds when I ride. I run them off an adapter that uses the 7 pin plug on the tank. There is definitely a difference in sound quality than directly from a phone or iPod. My phone is directly connected to the system, using carplay (using the jumper hack). This, of course, allows carplay features, sans voice calls or Siri use, which I do not care about, (I'm just wanting the music, the calls can wait), plus the ability to use the bikes controls to change volume or tracks. But I understand HD changes the EQ to compensate for the poor quality speakers. The Earbuds I have are High fidelity and sound wonderful off the bike. Plug them in, and even using the iPod/Phone EQ does nothing to change this sound. It is in stereo, but sounds like an old AM radio. Anyone know of a fix for this?
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

Leed

Maybe try a different 7 pin adapter.

Propflux01

The adapter is simply wired L+L-R+R- to 3.5MM. It has nothing to do with the audio issue.
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

Coyote

The dealer or someone with a Centurion can change the EQ mode. One of the aftermarket amp manufacturers used to sell a crossover to flatten it as well.

Shadowbennie

Quote from: Propflux01 on May 29, 2023, 06:23:42 PMIs there any hack or way to change the "automatic" EQ curve when the bike is started? I listen exclusively with wired earbuds when I ride. I run them off an adapter that uses the 7 pin plug on the tank. There is definitely a difference in sound quality than directly from a phone or iPod. My phone is directly connected to the system, using carplay (using the jumper hack). This, of course, allows carplay features, sans voice calls or Siri use, which I do not care about, (I'm just wanting the music, the calls can wait), plus the ability to use the bikes controls to change volume or tracks. But I understand HD changes the EQ to compensate for the poor quality speakers. The Earbuds I have are High fidelity and sound wonderful off the bike. Plug them in, and even using the iPod/Phone EQ does nothing to change this sound. It is in stereo, but sounds like an old AM radio. Anyone know of a fix for this?

The only way around it that I am aware of is to have the radio flashed via the Centurion or similar device that can access the BCM/radio functions and change which EQ setting the bike accesses while running vs. in acc mode - I had this done on my 2015 when I went away from the biketronics line levelers that came with their amp & speaker setup so I could run a DSP to control the EQ curve.

IIRC, I had it flashed to 8 speakers/2 amps, which flattened the EQ curve out dramatically. This may not be what you'd want to do for earbuds though, especially if you're not running an amp.

I noticed that once I removed the amp & speakers from the old bike, the 8spk/2amp EQ curve that I changed to while running are VERY flat & weak because they are meant to be used with an amp and/or a DSP so you have the ability to adjust the EQ curves to get a better overall sound.

Maybe whomever you take it to for the flash will have suggestions on which EQ curve to install in "run" mode, it could be as simple as using the same EQ setting as when it is in acc mode.