April 18, 2024, 03:33:20 PM

News:

Daytona twin tec tc88 blown

Started by tdrglide, June 01, 2023, 01:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdrglide

Anybody ever seen this before. Guy says he started up bike and smoke came out from module location and bike died. Headlights also blown. Everything else looks good so far

Hossamania

Yes, I have one on my bike. Works great. Replaces the stock ignition box on carbureted bikes to control initial ignition timing, slope of the ignition curve, redline rpm setting.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

He will need a replacement, either a new stock box or another Twin Tec or similar. Can't help on similar.
Is the motor modified?

tdrglide

It's a 2002 FLTRI with a modified s&s 124. He claims it made 143hp with s&s ignition, but that eventually failed. Someone else installed the daytona twin tec. Bike was then trailered 800mi. and then that blew after about 50mi riding on startup. He's a friend so he brought it to me. He brought me a new module. Just wondering why it blew out like that. Blew a hole right out. Yes I will need advice on settings. Bike came to me with default settings on the blown module.
All voltages check out. Double checking all wiring before I try and start it up

Hossamania

June 01, 2023, 03:45:27 PM #4 Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 03:50:08 PM by Hossamania
Delete

Hossamania

There are some mods to the wiring to run the carb converted from efi. Double check that nothing is rubbing, errant power getting to the ignition. Not sure what caused that blowout, I've not seen anything like that on this site.
As far as settings, the motor will determine what works best. The current settings don't look too bad, 5,5 is the stock setting for initial and slope timing. Mode select sets single or multi spark, 1and 2, but I can't remember which is which. I run 1,1,2 on timing settings. 6500 is kind of high for rpm, but if it takes it, I'm jealous, I only run 6100 for margin of error, could go 6200 on a 95".

tdrglide

"Edit" It's a FLTR. Carb from new. Has a G carb on now. I cleaned it out for him a couple years ago.
I'll check and redo all grounds also. Also voltage from regulator.

speedzter

There's a lot of these units in service, and haven't heard of any blowing like that.
Im actually using a "refurb" unit for my Fxdx .

I'd shoot an email to Daytona just to ask the question,
But like any electronics , things can just fail.

tdrglide

I'll contact them next week. I have a couple questions for them. I'll have the bike through mid July

JSD

Been running one on my 01 since going to 107" build for years zero probs. Recheck charge out put and earth connections. I blew a dyna s from over charge bad earth at regulator 

tdrglide

Yes, I think bad ground was cause of original problems. So, installed new voltage regulator with an additional ground to frame. Cleaned all other grounds. Replaced all battery cables with 2ga. New Daytona twin tec tc88 module, all new bulbs. Initial timing set at 2, advanced at 3. Rev limit at 6200. Hauls Azzz!