May 02, 2024, 04:58:42 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Trans fluid leak

Started by HighLiner, June 07, 2023, 01:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighLiner

Looking for some direction, ever since I changed my clutch cable last year trans fluid has been leaking out near the adjuster.  I don't see a seal on the parts diagram other than the o-ring at the side cover.

FSG

what bike are you talking about and what cable P/N did you fit?

HighLiner

2009 FLHX and it's one of the moco's diamondback cables

Hossamania

Is the vent tube clear?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Rusticwater

As Hoss suggested, check the vent tube. I run a cable tie through mine occasionally to make sure it's clear.

After 4 years I had to replace my Diamondback clutch cable (38854-09) as it had developed a minor leak up around the swivel end where it enters the transmission. That was in 2014, no problems since.

Make sure you have read Service Bulletin M-1296A "TRANSMISSION LUBRICANT CHECKING AND FILLING PROCEDURES" that covers your model. For years I was overfilling my transmission until FSG made me aware of this.
Support the Maine lobster industry

HighLiner

I've seen the posts about the vent tube but haven't checked mine yet.  The old diamondback didn't leak but this one has from day 1!

Hossamania

Not sure how transmission oil would get up to the adjuster without some kind of pressure to push it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

FSG

Quote from: HighLiner on June 07, 2023, 02:48:41 PMThe old diamondback didn't leak but this one has from day 1!

is the adjuster on the new one in the same place as the old ?