April 19, 2024, 08:05:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1998 Heritage Softail Speedo

Started by dubepj, June 01, 2023, 03:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

When my total miles or KM goes black from LCD leaking is it possible to use old style cable drive speedo?  Apart from the Speedo and cable what else do I need? Can I install the drive unit on the newer wheel?

Hossamania

The front wheels for '95 (mechanical speedo) and '98 (digital speedo) are the same number, 43005-86, but '98 is "c" revision. Not sure what that difference is. The rest of the parts should all fit. But none of the speedo parts are available from HD except the cable. Unfortunately the '98 speedo is not available either.
The easiest repair would be to source a used digital speedo. Finding all the pieces for a mechanical speedo would be a lot more work. Also, mechanical speedos fail too.
I've heard of guys repurposing bicycle odometers to work. Might be something to look into at a good bike shop.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

June 01, 2023, 06:58:12 PM #2 Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 07:04:21 PM by Hossamania
Google bicycle odometers, there are some independent reviews, Amazon has a bunch, all kinds listed.
Tried to post a link but failed. (See the test section)

Hossamania

Ironheadmike

June 02, 2023, 10:09:16 AM #5 Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 09:28:26 AM by FSG
There has to be a notch in the hub for the tang. You'll probably have to do some wiring for the dash lights .

14Frisco

Quote from: Ironheadmike on June 02, 2023, 10:09:16 AMThere has to be a notch in the hub for the tang.

Not in the hub, the notch is in the disc.

Hossamania

Quite a few parts needed for the conversion. Most are unavailable new. Finding good used parts might be a challenge, unless OP has a line on them and that's why he asked.
For me, I'd be looking for a stock replacement speedo, but that doesn't guarantee a working odo, just like OP's.
I've had the mechanical speedos. They aren't great.

cheech

Quote from: Hossamania on June 02, 2023, 12:40:01 PMQuite a few parts needed for the conversion. Most are unavailable new. Finding good used parts might be a challenge, unless OP has a line on them and that's why he asked.
For me, I'd be looking for a stock replacement speedo, but that doesn't guarantee a working odo, just like OP's.
I've had the mechanical speedos. They aren't great.
On the Softails no less with their vibrations.
There probably isn't a mechanical speedometer Softail around with any reasonable amount of miles with the ODO reset knob still.
They either vibrated loose and got lost or the vibrations broke them.

dubepj

If I were to convert to old style Cable drive would I lose the auto cancel function for my signal lights??

Hossamania

What about getting yours repaired? I googled Harley speedometer repair and found a few places.

Hossamania

June 08, 2023, 07:35:39 AM #11 Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 07:41:49 AM by Hossamania
Have you looked at Ronnie's for the difference between 1998 and 1995 (last year of mechanical speedo) models? Everything is different, the dash, the turn signal indicators, neutral light, high beam indicator, all of it. Not sure how you make any of that work. As far as losing the turn signal auto turn-off feature, I think that is the least of your problems.

Go to the instrument assembly on each of these pages.

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel/13/harleydavidsonmc/284#

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel/13/harleydavidsonmc/200#